Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 95 Baja 208 Islander this spring, I live in Colorado and use the boat at about 4500 feet elevation. The guy I bought it from in Kansas gave me 19p and a 21p stainless props. With both props it seems to cavatate and over rev. The question is, what is the best prop for me??? speed would be nice but what I need is the best pulling prop (for skiing) that still will not over rev. The boat weighs 3800 dry (I assume around 4800-5k loaded) and has a stock 7.4 carb motor.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I have a 95 208 also. I found the best prop at sea level is the Mirage Plus 23P. I recently had some engine work done (intake, exhaust, carb, cam, hyd. rockers, ++) and now I am pushing 420HP and need help with sizing the prop now. I currently have a Quicksilver 13368 A5 24P on it and I think I am spinning it out of the hole. Jumps to about 3700RPM, catches after a bit, then runs out until I hit rev limiter at 4800RPM. Easy 64 on speedo. I am also changing ignition to set rev limiter at 5300RPM as MAX. Not sure next move, any ideas??

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am starting to think these "prop so called experts" are shooting in the dark. I call them and each one tells me a different story. I guess for the best just start trying props if you can. My boat with the stock 330 ran a 23 Mirage. It would what I call torque lien over to the passenger side at cruise speed 3000-3500 after that it would run flat. I fixed that by going to a bravo 1 4 blade 24 labbed. It was all good until I put in the new stroker. Now I am back to the torque lien at cruising speed and have to compenstate with the trim tabs. One prop place told me I need to increase the engine rpms by going with a smaller prop. The other told me I need to go with a bigger prop. Right now the boat will run 71 [email protected] 5350. I don't want to lose speed or increase rpms, I just want the boat to ride level

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
yeah, I can relate to your frustrations. Everyone says do this or try that. Easier said than done when the props are $300-$500 a piece. I think I am going to get the new ignition in place to get my RPM's set, then I will try to find "the experts" to get the correct prop. If I lab my Quicksilver 13368 A5 24P, what performance improvements will I see? What did you get out of your 24 labbed?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I got about 200-300 rpm on the motor and picked up some speed. I think it is all a guessing game. I have talked to BBBlades and Hydromotive each gave a different solution.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Brett is usually very sharp. But if you don't want to change your rpms I would leave it alone. Use your tabs to level the boat, that's why they are there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts