Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 89 baja with a 4.3....Changed all spark plugs and has been running fine.

1) When I crank the motor it will not fire during actually turning of the key. I have to open the throttle about 75% and crank and release. The first time I do this after realeasing the key it will give a short bump. The second time I turn key and release about 2 seconds after key release motor will fire and run golden all day long. New plugs, wires, and I run nothing but chevron with techron through it. You can smell it getting fuel. In all honesty I was just curious of opinions. I am sure I need to look at cap and rotator, but didnt know if someone might have something come to mind.

2)Trim button......trim up stopped working on the way back in last weekend. Trim down and trailer still work fine. I was using trailer to trim up some and that seemed to work. What causes this to happen? Relay switch? Is using trailer as trim up basically the same thing? I want to fix this before the weekend so would appreciate replies!

·
Registered
398 Posts
#1, did you check the timing, and to make sure your choke is not sticking? if they check out good, I have pretty much the same boat, 89 baja with a 4.3.. usually for me on cold starts, with the engine off, go from neutral to Full on the throttle two times, back to neutral than key it over, mine will start on the first revolution this way, I had similar problems getting mine started when i first got it and someone showed me this and has worked like a charm ever since.

2) Had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the trim sensor on the drive, to get by you can jump the two wires like i had to until you get a new switch, just make sure you dont trim the drive to high, or just check your switch it may possibly just be out of adjustment :confused: will take pics if you need to see exactly where I'm talking about.. but if yours is set up the same way mine is they connect right on the trim pump assembly. good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate your response and I would love to see the pictures you are talking about.....Is it ok to use trailer as my trim up button? How much did that sensor on the drive cost you? Im not exactly sure where it is but I am sure I could locate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts