Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat has been running great all summer, On Monday the boat started idling rough and seems to lack power at the upper mid and top end I say this because normally I max at 4600 rpms and now I only spin at 4000 rpms plus its loses power intermitenly. I have an '89 350 Mercruiser 260 hp, I checked the carburetor seems to have fuel flowing in, Check the fuel filter and it was clean, no blockage. Checked the linkage and made sure it moves freely. I did not check the plugs to see if they have been fouled I know I should have. The motor runs smooth when you run it at a high idle. I'm going to check the plugs if they're fine, then it must be a bad fuel pump right ? I'm pretty sure its the original pump. Any input would be great?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
After ignition check , pull the plugs and do a compression check.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Check plug wires for arcing. Start engine at night, get a spray bottle with water, and spray some water on the plug wires, look for sparks jumping.

Remove distributor cap and look for corrosion, carbon tracks, etc.

Sounds to me like a ignition issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
compression and leak down test is a safe start. if ignition is all good then these tests will tell the tale of whats goin on

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I pulled the boat finally, first thing I noticed is the the exhaust bellows is torn in half :eek: went picked up a new one consulted my trusty mercruiser manual it says you have to drop the drive to get it in. I got it on the transom end but cannot get it on the drive end, do you have any tips that might help me from not dropping the drive.

I hate when you start a project and unexpected things come up but I guess that how it goes, Nothing ever goes right !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts