Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to bolt on my Gibson mufflers and I'm not sure what to use for a sealer between the muffs and the transom. I planned to use quick set (24 Hr.) 3M 5200 because I know it will seal the water out really well. But, if I ever want/need to remove the mufflers, it'll be a major PIA.

The muffs bolt through so I don't think I need an adhesive (like 5200). But I want a good tight seal, NO leaks. I sure could use some suggestions.... pro's & con's of different products :confused:

·
Registered
594 Posts
you can use 4200, if you ever need to pull the tip I highly recomend the 4200. it will seal great. just make sure both surfaces are clean and dry and seal the bolts also. no leaks will happen that way. I use 4200 for almost all above water installations and have never had a leak....preperation is the key. post a pic when done.
Snivley

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's..... 'specially yours Jake :p: :D

Snivley - I was thinking of using the 4200, as you say it would be easier to pull the muffs if needed.

I would think any good 100% silicone product would work ..... GE, 3M, whatever. Think I should use a "high temp" product ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used clear Lifeseal above/below waterline silicone sealant from West Marine to install my mufflers. As added protection I put neoprene washers on the through-bolts before the metal washers and I also used resin to seal the holes I drilled for the through bolts. I put a pretty thick bead of silicone on the muffler, shoved it on, tightened the nuts on the inside and then went back and wiped the excess silicone off the transom tight to the muffler with my finger (that way silicone gets pushed back in for a uniform and non-noticeable bead). Turned out sweet with no leaks. I think I used lacquer thinner and shop towels for any necessary cleanup.

PS - I used Corsa mufflers and after one time out, I love having them. I can actually hear the engines now and can talk to passengers while running down the lake. I think it is awesome and will never be without mufflers again.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as I thought, looks like there are better choices than 5200 for this application. I'll stop by a local supplier and read the labels the other 3M products and the Lifeline.

Thanks for the feed back :)

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
snivley whiplash said:
you can use 4200, if you ever need to pull the tip I highly recomend the 4200. it will seal great. just make sure both surfaces are clean and dry and seal the bolts also. no leaks will happen that way. I use 4200 for almost all above water installations and have never had a leak....preperation is the key. post a pic when done.
Snivley
I used 4200 as you suggested. Did a "dry fit" and masked with electrical tape. Took the muffs off, cleaned the surfaces with Acetone, then put about a 1/4 inch bead of 4200 around the mating surface of the muffs, applied extra 4200 around the base where the bolts are welded to the mating surface to ensure a good seal at the stud holes, then bolted them on.

The masking ............ :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What appears to be a ring or discoloration on the transom where the muff butts to it is actually a reflection.

btw the boat is a complete mess.... Needs a major clean and shine inside and out............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.