Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 87 Liberator with a 454 mag Alpha 1 with only 144 hours total down the street from a 74 year old guy! Hasn't been run for 2 years. Theres not scratches at all on the hull and its still original shine.

I bought it for $7300 with the trailer. This will be my first i/o boat since i have sailed and PWC'ed my whole life. Im really excited because PWCs are getting pretty monotonous for me since its only close to the shore.

Heres the video of the noise it makes but it doesnt start up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nd6yWH7Ee4

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5nd6yWH7Ee4"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5nd6yWH7Ee4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

and heres the outdrive hull and cuddy pics

Attachments

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Is the motor actually turning over (spinning) when its making that noise ? Or is the starter skipping on the flywheel ? cant really tell without seeing the belts moving or not moving.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
spark fuel and air?

I imagine since it has been sitting for so long you are looking for bad fuel, clogged carb, bad plug wires, something fairly simple

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
a good deal really depends on what is wrong, if the boat wasnt winterized and the block is cracked then you got a terrible deal, if it needs a set of spark plugs and runs great then you got an OK deal imo.

I would do the basic tune up first, the fuel in th tank is probably beyond bad.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Strange sounding noise, but it does'nt sound like it's turning over at all, it sounds like the starter gear is stripped or skipping on the flywheel or something.. either that or the solenoid is making a sound I have'nt heard before. So I'd pull the starter off and go from there..
And the Battery sounds like it's almost dead too.. so make sure it's good...

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
Sounds like it's turning over to me.. Charge the battery, remove the flame arrestor aka air filter, pour a little gas in the carb and see what happens..

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Put a timing light on it and see if your getting spark.

I you safety lanyard clip in place :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:
Stupid question but I've seen it before :rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
once said, dead/low battery is my first start
Second, pull the plugs, put a socket on the crank and turn it over by hand

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sounds like a dead battery or bad/loose wiring from battery to starter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Put a volt meter across teh battery terminals, get a reading and then have someone crank the boat and see what the reading is while cranking, if it goes below 11 the battery is trash, if less than 11.5 weak. The ignition needs a strong ignition source voltage to work, so a weak battery under load may not provide that voltage, check battery,!!!!

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
cigsmoker said:
what should i start with...

or should i just bring it in to the shop?
ALOT of good tips and advice here, but from the tone...
a professional may be the way to go

atleast by the sound of things here so far.
Does look like a nice clean example of a 211. Once up and running should be a fun boat. USE IT, ENJOY it, and you didn't get ripped off. If it sits...it's a waste

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
That boat has a points ignition. Sitting for 2 years is not good for that type ignition. At a minimum you'll need to file the points to get the primary current to flow. Points grow fur on them when they sit and will not conduct current.

From what everyone has said in this thread your asking if you should visit a shop is a great idea!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts