Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a short list of boats that I would buy. They're not listed in any particular order. All would serve my needs, it then boils down to the boat & price. The only ones ruled out an not being able to buy new are the Cig and the Fountain.

1. 358 Sonic
2. 31 Sonic
3. Cigarette 38 Top Gun
4. 35 Fountain Lightning (w/race fairing)
5. Sunsation 32 Innovator

If I can find a 97-2001 Top Gun at the right price with shore power I'd jump. Prefer fresh water. There's one in New Hampshire I like and another in Boston I like also. I'm leery of Florida Boats though - rough water and salt water....

any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Even the short list has trade-offs. The 2 Sonics are the best compromise between speed, looks and cabin space. The Cig and Fountain insure speed and rough water handling at the loss of cabin comfort. The Innovator has the speed and performance covered with modest cabin size. The one thing that the Innovator has is that you won't meet yourself going down the river-not for a while anyway-plus the advanatage of the Sunsational Service provided by the Sunsation Team.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Jeff,
With all the things I have read about and all the comments of how happy people are about Sunsation boats I would be leaning toward Sunsation, although the Top Gun is also a very cool looking boat!
Gilla has a great point about how many cigs you see verse how many Sunsations you would likely see, if that is a concern?
My .02 worth.:bigsmile:

P.S. It must be tough deciding on a boat with that many choice's.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my other big concern is resale value. A used Cig will hold it's value better than any other boat listed above. I'll take the biggest whack on a new boat. The top gun cabin is adequate and after all - it is a Cigarette....which is how I'm leaning...unless a great deal materializes on one of the other boats I'm considering.

I've chatted with Dave about the sad feelings of potentially leaving the Sunsation family and he says I can't leave because I have Sunsation DNA. He says; I may be in another boat but I'll always be part of the Sunsation Family.

It's just really tough to swallow the fact that as soon as I've signed the papers for a new boat the value ois going to go down by at least $20k to $40K....

ps: there aren't a lof of Cigs on the Chesapeake Bay. Most of the gofast boats are Scarabs, Fountains and LOTS of Baja's. There are a handful of Sunsations and a decent number of Sonics....

but I have to tell you that the looks of the Cigarettes always take my breath away and evoke a primal lust for a piece of machinery.

so... I ask you. How practical do you think I should be?

- jeff

·
Registered
188 Posts
JEFFJ:
It's funny, but I am going through the very same dillema. I have one additional factor in that due to my location (Western Kansas-a virtual desert) my local lake is quite small.:(
However, we frequent LOTO :D :laugher: :laugh: several time a year, and are planning a trip to Grand Lake soon.
So, my short list would be as follows:
35 TS Cigarette Playboy
30 Cig Mystique
32 Innovator
37 Active thunder
Perhaps a sonic, I like the lines, but don't know too much about them.

I have a 28 whipple charged (almost-hopefully by tomorrow:D ) Eliminator Eagle that is a great boat, but I really want twins in my next boat...oh, and two motors would be nice too!:p:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I ran next to the Innovator for a short while in the Sunsation Rally, it is one awesome machine, plus the boat is full of neat toys. :) :) :) :) One person that road in said the handling and speed of the boat stands above the dominator, it would definitely be on my short list if it was about 10 years old!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
SummerObsession said:
JEFFJ:
It's funny, but I am going through the very same dillema. I have one additional factor in that due to my location (Western Kansas-a virtual desert) my local lake is quite small.:(
However, we frequent LOTO :D :laugher: :laugh: several time a year, and are planning a trip to Grand Lake soon.
So, my short list would be as follows:
35 TS Cigarette Playboy
30 Cig Mystique
32 Innovator
37 Active thunder
Perhaps a sonic, I like the lines, but don't know too much about them.

I have a 28 whipple charged (almost-hopefully by tomorrow:D ) Eliminator Eagle that is a great boat, but I really want twins in my next boat...oh, and two motors would be nice too!:p:

SummerObsession, I might know of a line on a PLayboy Cigarette in my area if you were interested. Let me know and I'll hook you up.

Mitch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jeff I saw the Cigarette your talking about in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago ( at least I think it's the one, 97 with twin 500's 200 fresh water hours) It's a great looking boat, very clean from what I could see. I think it would be worth looking into further.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well.... I've done a lot of analysis of boats and values....

every boat goes doen in value - even cigarettes....

My real short is list is the 31 Sonic or the 38 Top Gun with an Outer Limits still a strong possibility.

Here is what I've determinf from an anlysis of prices...

New 2002/2003 31 Sonic SS with 496/HO's...

Price : 135k
Values of used 31's

2001 : 110 - 120
2000 : 100k
1999 : 85 - 90k
1998 : 70k
1997 : 60k
1996 : 50k

Depreciation seems to average about 10% per year, which is not bad...

Cigarette Top Guns...

Price New : 300K
2001 : 235k = Ouch - don't buy a new ONE!!!
2000 : 215k
1999 : 170k
1998 : 160k
1997 : 150k
1996 : 135K
1995 : 120k

TG's older than this never seem to sell for less than 80k ...

It seems the best bet on a cig is a 1999 because depreciation is very small on years 3 through 3 through 7. Assuming you buy and sell for about 8% less than advertised you're only seeing about $10k/year in depreciation which is pretty good. The Sonic is half the price of the cig and depreciates at the same dollar amount but at a higher percentage of price paid.

In my conversations with people you can expect to buy a boat for 8 to 15% less than what they're listing it for. It all depends on how anxious the seller is.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
JEFFJ said:
Assuming you buy and sell for about 8% less than advertised you're only seeing about $10k/year in depreciation which is pretty good.
- jeff
Good thing my boat doesn't depreciate 10k a year, It wouldn't be worth anything by now :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Interesting analysis on the depreciation. One thing to note on the Cigs is that in 2001, most Top Guns are the twin step model with covergirl cabins. The twin step is more sought after because it is lighter and faster (about 9 mpg) than the non-stepped versions with same power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.