Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will give some background first....I bought the boat with a busted freeze plug...re placed it and it ran fine...took it out on the water last weekend and ran fine all day until I got back to the dock...my idle was to low and the motor had been shutting off at idle all day long so when it shut off at the dock I didnt think much of it...It would not restart though just sounded like the flywheel was spinning...Took the flywheel off and the gears in the pop out bearing were stripped so I had it rebuilt and fixed....put the outdrive and starter back on last night and it cant turn the motor...put 1 shim on it and it stilll wouldnt turn the motor but u could hear that the starter turned farther than without the shim...so I put a wrench on the crank pulley and tried to turn her over and it wouldnt....I know it can be really hard to turn over a motor with everything hooked up but it didnt even seem to budge...Is there something im missing? Should I put more shims on the starter or does it sound like the motor is froze up? Could I have put something back on wrong from the outdrive that is not allowing the motor to turn over?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Just a thought if it froze enough to break a freeze plug you may have a crack in your exhaust manifold and when at idle theres not enough flow to push the water out and it could be running back into your cylinders. Pull all the spark plugs and try turning it over by hand. Look at your oil and see if its milky. You may not have damaged the engine but you may have also damaged valves if water is the case.

·
Registered
405 Posts
3wood said:
Just a thought if it froze enough to break a freeze plug you may have a crack in your exhaust manifold and when at idle theres not enough flow to push the water out and it could be running back into your cylinders. Pull all the spark plugs and try turning it over by hand. Look at your oil and see if its milky. You may not have damaged the engine but you may have also damaged valves if water is the case.
what he said...

and don't take a lot of time to think aobut it. If you do have water in the cylinders, the longer it's there the greater the chance you're looking at a new longblock on top of the manifolds and risers... wd-40 is your friend...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
water in the cylinders.
pull the plugs and try to turn the motor over with the wrench.
DON'T USE THE STARTER
If it doesn't turn over then pull the drive and try it again.

I had a drive loose a tooth at idle due to too much play in the drive top gears and TOO big of a cam causing a BIG lope at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.