Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to deal with a problem I am having titling the trailer that came with my scarab.When I purchased the boat and trailer I received a lean release and bill of sale for the trailer.I was told that the trailer was an '85 and was too old for a title in the state I bought it in.So I take my lean release and bill of sale to the mva.They need the title to do a transfer.I check with the mva in the state that I bought it from and they told me all trailers have always had a title.So I look at the trailer and find the manufactures tag.The bill of sale and lean release are missing a number having only 16 characters and says the trailer is an '85.The manufactures tag on the trailer has 17 characters and says date of manufacture is 1989.I do a carfax report on that vin number and it showed the trailer being an 89 also and being registered in 2007 in New York.(Not the state I bought it from).The guy I bought it from says he never titled it and owned the trailer since 2001.I called the mva in new york and had no help at all.Looks to me like I am screwed on getting this registered in MD. :angry1: Any ideas on how I could find the person who has registered the vin on this trailer and what the odds on it being stolen are?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I tried.Now they require reciepts for all the steel used to build it.They are making it very difficult to do now.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The info you are looking for for the trailer from the DMV of NY can be gotten...they just need a paper trail....i just went through this getting title info for a waverunner i bought from WI....they wont tell you anything over the phone....but with further asking i was informed they would give the info if you email them or write a letter requesting the info....so an email and short wait later i had the contact info of the guy and gave him a call and got duplicate paper work sent to him and finnaly got the title to me! whew! it was frustrating but it can be done...you just have to keep pressing them...they dont like giving out info if not asked directly i have come to find....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it comes to it I will have to come up with something to show them.I was kinda shocked when the woman told me she needed all the receipts for steel used,tires and axles.I didn't know what to say.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
In the mean time you can call the NY DMV back and simply ask them if they can check the trialer vin and verify that its not been reported stolen or anything fishy...atleast that can put you at ease till you can get things sorted out....

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
another idea might be to contact your insurance agent...maybe they can run the vin and see if they can pull the info on the last registered owner... :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wally said:
The info you are looking for for the trailer from the DMV of NY can be gotten...they just need a paper trail....i just went through this getting title info for a waverunner i bought from WI....they wont tell you anything over the phone....but with further asking i was informed they would give the info if you email them or write a letter requesting the info....so an email and short wait later i had the contact info of the guy and gave him a call and got duplicate paper work sent to him and finnaly got the title to me! whew! it was frustrating but it can be done...you just have to keep pressing them...they dont like giving out info if not asked directly i have come to find....
I was told by the mva to mail a mv 15 form to albany and request the info.I will give that a shot.Not sure what to say to the person that registered this trailer last year.Not sure if he has a stolen trailer and is using the title for this one or not.I know the boat has been sitting on this trailer for at least 3yrs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wally said:
another idea might be to contact your insurance agent...maybe they can run the vin and see if they can pull the info on the last registered owner... :)
Thats a good idea.I will try that first.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
it could be a typo on the DMV's side of things that no one has caught yet.....i had that happen to me once on a snowmobile trailer...they missed the VIN by one number.....wouldnt have caught it had i not been out looking at the trailer like 20min earlier!

·
Registered
398 Posts
A friend of mine had a problem with a trailer he bought from Georgia that had no title. I know he went thru he** trying to register it in PA. He ended up calling AAA and they helped him I don`t know what they did but he got it registered. Maybe he will post what he did.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, bought a jetski with a trailer. No title with the trailer. It turns out the dealer had loaned the trailer so the buyer could get the ski home. It was eventually reported as stolen when the dealer forgot what he had done with the trailer. I made the seller pay the dealer for the trailer, he really had to because otherwise the dealer would just call the cops on him when I reminded him what happend to his trailer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Philcat said:
Yep, bought a jetski with a trailer. No title with the trailer. It turns out the dealer had loaned the trailer so the buyer could get the ski home. It was eventually reported as stolen when the dealer forgot what he had done with the trailer. I made the seller pay the dealer for the trailer, he really had to because otherwise the dealer would just call the cops on him when I reminded him what happend to his trailer.
I'm afraid that is what happened here.I will probably have to go after the seller.He has not been any help.Just empty promises that lead to no results in finding a title.He tells me he never titled it,yet he also gave me a temp tag he had for it in his name back in 2001.He is very shady.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I've run into this problem with a Mastercraft I bought a few years back. It had NO title, NO vin plate.

This was in around 2002 and MD was already on the kick of making you provide receipts for everything. I ended up getting a "home made" vin plate for it, only after a bunch of hassles. I bought it from the second owner, he had a C of O, but the original owner was long gone, both owners had lift kept the boat at there house, never trailered it anywhere off the property.

Probably going to have the same problem with the one I have now. Honestly, I don't even worry a whole lot about trailers, just got pulled over with tags dead since the late 90's on a dump trailer $60.00 fine and I was on my way.

Running switch tags now because I never got a title with my new (to me) trailer from NJ. The owner told me they didn't have titles for boat trailers in NJ? At least this one has numbers stamped onto it. :rolleyes:

My advice, run illegal tags, the fine (if you ever even get one) is well worth the time and aggravations spent messing with the state of Maryland.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PJDiesel said:
I've run into this problem with a Mastercraft I bought a few years back. It had NO title, NO vin plate.

This was in around 2002 and MD was already on the kick of making you provide receipts for everything. I ended up getting a "home made" vin plate for it, only after a bunch of hassles. I bought it from the second owner, he had a C of O, but the original owner was long gone, both owners had lift kept the boat at there house, never trailered it anywhere off the property.

Probably going to have the same problem with the one I have now. Honestly, I don't even worry a whole lot about trailers, just got pulled over with tags dead since the late 90's on a dump trailer $60.00 fine and I was on my way.

Running switch tags now because I never got a title with my new (to me) trailer from NJ. The owner told me they didn't have titles for boat trailers in NJ? At least this one has numbers stamped onto it. :rolleyes:

My advice, run illegal tags, the fine (if you ever even get one) is well worth the time and aggravations spent messing with the state of Maryland.
I wish I still lived in Darlington.I wouldn't even sweat it.I now live in baltimore county.The first week I moved here I took my grandmother to the grocery store and was pulled over and given a ticket for my front tag missing.I had it behind the back seat and showed the officer.He said it needs to at least be in the dash to be seen.Needless to say I try to be as legal as I can around here.I like your suggestion though.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I hear you, I'm used to running the same 6 miles from home to the ramp and back, rarely even see a cop. :)

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
I got both my trailers titled in PA. One was from MI where I think the boat and trailer are titled together and one was from Canada. Neither of them had a title.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the trailer weighs under 3000 lbs it does not need a title in the state of NY. I went through a similiar issue. It only needs to be registered. When I went to register it in NJ, they needed a notarized bill of sale. I believe the same ruled applied in NJ that the trailer doesn't need a title, just registered. DMV's are a pain in the a$$, took me a month and several attempts to resister my boat and trailers. No one knew anything about registerring a boat.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Speedwake said:
why not try and title it as a home made trailer
Good advise,,, :bigsmile:

That's Exactly what my Insurance Agent told me.....

And just what I had to do..

Just made up a material list & expenses, stated it's load capacity, paid the sales tax on the materials, and applied for title. and got my plates....now it has a title..

I bought my boat in NY, the guy had clear a title for the boat, but nothing for the trailer,,, and he never even had plates for it, so it may seem shady at 1st, but it was not,,,,it only made sense, he only used the trailer twice a year, and lived across the street from the lake association where he docked the boat, so why bother to register it.. besides, it was custom made for the boat & color matched to my hull, so I figured it wasn't stolen..

So, just make the receipts... :winker:

Frame............................ACME Steel Co.....
Axel, Hubs & Wheels.....A-1 Salvage..
Etc, Etc....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts