Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im in the process of refinishing the cuddy on my 272. The headliner was shot so out it came. I have been looking at purchasing some more but have thought about a few different options.

I would like to "spruce" things up a bit. Here is one idea.

#1 I have thought about making some type of plexi or acryllic insert for the celling of the cuddy. The best way I can describe this is it being like the celing of a limo. Im sure everyone has been in a limo and looked up to see the shiny black celing with the colored fiber optic lights. Well I dont plan on going as far as adding the fiber optics. However I could accomplish somewhat the same thing by tinting one side of a piece of plex and installing it down the center of the cuddy celing. I could add a baja logo or whatever I felt like. I could even tint it with Mirror tint for thoes special moments... :laugher:

I also would like to add either the rope lighting or possibly that el-neon wire stuff that I LOVE ....

any ideas......

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Sounds pretty cool so far........

...............go for it :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aquaforce said:
Sounds pretty cool so far........

...............go for it :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I bought a small piece of acryllic today that im going to experiment with. I want to see whta effects I can get with leds etc.
I still havent figured out how I can attach it to the celing. I could just use adheasive however I hate the thought of having something that I cant get out at a later date...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some experimenting with acryllic and leds etc. It worked fairly well but im not sure if i will go that route.

I still want to put something on the celing of my cuddy. Just for decorative purposes. Something that I can either paint or vinyl to whatever color I want.

anyone have any ideas what to use other than acryllic. That stuff is stupid expensive.

I need something that I can finish to a smooth finish and paint if I decide to do so. Preferably in the .250 thick range and not too heavy. Also needs to be at least 8 foot long...

the first thing someone said when I mentioned this was to use wood. Well I cant get that smooth painted finish that I want with wood. the grain would be too much of a pain.

I thought about building it out of fiberglass. However thats also a big pain. It would be much easier to cut and paint.

any thoughts.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Would aluminum plate do any good?
I have an interest in how to attach other than adhesive too. Thinking about a project in my cabin but don't know how I would support it yet.

I will like to see what you do.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aquaforce said:
Would aluminum plate do any good?
I have an interest in how to attach other than adhesive too. Thinking about a project in my cabin but don't know how I would support it yet.

I will like to see what you do.

aluminum plate may work. I never thought about that however the expense would probably be as much if not more than the plexi.....

I went to lowes and priced some acryllic plexi at roughly $250 per sheet.

I had no idea it was that expensive.... I may be able to find a better price at a local plastic supplier or something. The bad thing is I will only need roughly half of a sheet. Im not sure if I would even be able to find someone to sell half a sheet....

I havent really thought about how to attach it to the celing yet. I dont like the adheasive idea even though it would work. I even thought about velcro.

I will probably end up building some sort of bracket system to glue to the celing then use screws or something to atach the plex or whatever I use to thoes brackets. not sure yet..

·
Registered
666 Posts
What about making some type of trim around the edge to hold it in place. Cut the plexi slightly bigger so when inserted it will bow upward… then your hatch trim will help hold it up in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts