Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
69,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2.3 liter motor and a 400 cobra drive need help with prop the i have is 13 1/4 /17 pitch rpm run in at 5500 they say to use a 12 3/4 /21 pitch prop that im runing to many rpms just like to get a little more top speed out of it:confused: just need so good exp help thanks jeff

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
what is the max rpm supposed to be for your engine,,, my guess is 5500 is WAY to high,,, i would keep that prop for a holeshot/skiing prop. In theory running a 21 would bring you down to 5100 rpm which still sound high for a 2.3L , and being smaller dia might bring that even higher.

Unfortunatly props selections is a black art,,, find your max rpm for your engine and post it,,, we can give you a suggestion of about where you should be. Then find yourself a good prop shop in your area, if they are worth your buisness, they will have a demo program and let you try a prop for free as long as you dont damage it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree that we need to know the max RPMs for this motor. For sure you are running too small a prop. A 19 should drop you down to around 4900 - 5000 and 21 will put you around 4450 (according to the calculator on BAM's site).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
it seems like the 21 pitch will get you more rpms, I have a 21 and went to a 23 and picked up 3 more mph, but you have to be careful to much will slow you down getting on plane, call the boat manufacturer and ask whats the best prop for top speed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.