Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all have to read this account of a family and their new Bayliner.
It's hard to believe this thing actually got out of the factory.

Bayliner Horror

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
That's an amazing story.

Most people think that dealing with a large manufacter for a boat brings comfort and peace of mind.

I must admit in all honesty that after owning a few Wellcrafts in the past it was a little difficult for me to consider a small manufacturer such as Sunsation. I'm sure my local Wellcraft dealer sells more Wellcrafts in a year than Sunsation builds in total, but after checking a few forums, talking to a few other owers, talking to the owners of Sunsation and performing what I consider to be a detailed and thorough inspection of the 28 and 32 I made the decision to purchase.

Their attention to detail and attention to customer service before, during and after the sale has exceeded my wildest expecations.

It's really dishearteneing to read the post referenced above. I'm sure this was a fluke boat and it's a shame he had such a bad experience with Bayliner. I know Bayliner gets bashed a lot, but they've been around for a long time and YOU DO get a lots for your money from Bayliner, especially when it comes to their big cruisers.

I guess it just goes to show "buyer beware".

Hopefully none of us will ever have to experience what this couple went through.

- jeff

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Wow!! What a story. I cringe to hear things like that. Someone could have been seriously hurt or even killed. After owning a Bayliner,just like Jeff said,they take alot of bashing. In reality I had a great experiance with my boat and the dealer I purchased it from.After owning the boat for 3 years,I sold it for about $1700.00 less than what I paid.I put the boat through alot of chit,and it remained in great shape.; I hit a wave so hard that i even managed to blow the center of the windshield thru the oppisite direction. Still no stress cracks when I sold the boat.

Besides the problem with the boat,I feel the real problem was the lack of assistance from the DEALER. The way to correct that problem was to take the flare gun they spoke of,launch 1 up the manager,s ass and the rest into their establishment and walk away. Sure would make me feel better

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Now Paul,,,, after telling what you put the boat through, the only story your going to mention is the one about the wave you hit??? Lets hear the story about the waves at the beach !!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
My Dad used to sell Bayliners and parted company with them for their failure to stand behind the product. He sold appox. 55 Bayliners over a 5 year period. He says you can figure on a major problem with 1 out of every 5 boats. Then the next problem was getting paid by the company for the warranty work that was performed. He was actually told by Bayliner management that when the boat leaves the factory after inspection, that all boats are perfect. Any problems after that are on the dealers shoulders. Yeah, right, thats why he quit them when his contract was up. :mad:
Down in Texas, they shoot holes in them to build fishing reefs. :devious:

:gunner: :gunner: :eek:gre:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
by the way.... the thread referenced in the top of this thread was deleted off the goboatingamerica site...

It lambasted Bayliner Boats for horrendous customer service. Whether is was ever true was never confirmed, but the original author signed his name and gave his email address which would leave most people to believe the story as legit.

The post is now deleted. It seems as though goboatingamerica is owned by a boating magazine and it is possible that Bayliner is an advertiser. The post was either deleted by the author or the forum owners. People normally delete posts for a reason.

I have no opinion as to why it was deleted.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
It wasnt that it was a Bayliner,,, It was that it was one of dem dere fishin boats !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Now you got it !!!! He has to be diplomatic, !!! ( you should try that sometime !!! )

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
1boatnut, you may be the master at quantity, but that might be the world's longest post....don't get any ideas!

Burned once shame on you, burned twice shame on me. I would be damned if I would go more than a 1/2 mile from the boat ramp on the second trip, and it wouldn't be a fishin' trip, but a test ride. Fools

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have to agree with Agressor Tom. After the first trip I would never have made the second unless the dealer's rep was with me, preferably behind the wheel and me with my camcorder.:mad:

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Just made a call to my Dad about Bayliner boats and this story.
He also says the story seems to have a lot of holes in it. (sorry, pun intended) He couldn't believe another dealer could be as bad as the story related.
Back in the early 80's when he was selling, Bayliners were considered more of an entry level boat. The majority of his customers were first time buyers. He also says the smaller outboard boats were pretty good with very few problems, but the larger more expensive boats, especially I/O's, seem to have more than their share. Then again, when spending more dollars, the customers expect way more.
Also he only had trouble collecting on warranty repairs during the last few months that he was selling them, mainly because he quit ordering more boats to sell.
The line about Bayliner management was true, but it had to do with a gel coat problem on a cheaper boat. He says the factory rep that they sent was a real ass. Usually Bayliner stood behind their product 100%.
His main reason to quit Bayliner was that his other boat lines were more profitable.

See the trouble you can get into when relying on poor memory.
Sorry that I made Bayliner to sound worse than they are.
He says they still use them for fishing reefs, though. :)

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
1boatnut said:
Aggressor Tom,
1boatnut, you may be the master at quantity, but that might be the world's longest post....don't get any ideas!

What??:confused:
I agree with A.T. that the story was probably the longest post ever!! I did manage to make it all the way through, only because I had to see what stupid thing these people were going to do next. I agree with Laster that I would never have gone beyond the marina on the second trip, and I would insist that someone from the dealership be there.

I was so curious about this story that I read the posts that followed using DWILPAT's link http://free.hotboat.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001947.html, and one guy gave a lot of good reasons why the post was probably fake or at least well exaggerated. I just hope we all never find ourselves even coming close to an experience like this!

So Boatnut, what's this about a wave??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
RE: Boatnut, what's this about a wave???
obnoxus said:
Now Paul,,,, after telling what you put the boat through, the only story your going to mention is the one about the wave you hit??? Lets hear the story about the waves at the beach !!!!!
I was just wondering if there was a good story behind that post that you should share with the rest of us. :)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I hope this story was made up!! Wild to say the least!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts