Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put new exhaust tips on their thru-hull? I would like to replace my stock tips. Do you just un-screw the old ones, pull them out, clean up the transom? To re-install; apply some sealant and screw them back in. I would like to do this myself.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
That should be the jist of it,,, hopefully they were just sealed to the hull not bonded,,,,

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
oh yeah,,,,,,,,,Im sure you know but they are clamped to the hose on the inside of the boat to,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wel the boat is a 99 Hammer. Want to get rid of the stock thru-hull tips. I guess if they are bonded it causes major problems and lots of work?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Yep,,, you could end up pulling fiberglass off ,,, but my guess is they are probably just sealed on......undo the clamps on the inside and unscrew them,,,,, usually a tight fit in the transom to,,,, they will take some doing to get out,,,,take a rag or something and wrap it around a putty knife and see if you can tap it under the tips.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You might try to get some Anti Bond 2015 and use that on whatever is sealing the tips. Even if it's 5200 it will dissolve it and let you pull the tips loose without stripping the transom of gel coat;)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
they should have a gasket on them if they are corsa quick & quiet (unbolt the 3 nuts and wiggle them out its going to be a pain if there tight), hang on to the old tips some areas are cracking down on db levels

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I just replaced my Corsa tips on my Outlaw. Undo 3 nuts and loosen the hose clamps on the exhaust tubes. Then I just wriggled the tip back and forth a few times and pulled it out. The new ones just slip back in. I used some silicone sealant on mine with some new stainless screws. I put some slant cut tips with internal flappers on mine. Looks good and sounds alot better. The whole project might have taken about 2hrs.:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep the slant tips is what I want. I just have straight thru hull, no corsa or "wife's call" on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am wondering the same as Tommy, can I simply remove the baffles on the stock thru hull exhaust? Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Many people have told me to remove them, but I wanted to wait for the opinion of the great people on this board.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
??? What do you mean by baffles? Mine has the internal flappers right behind the external salisbary flaps, but that is it. If you open the interals up and shine a flashlight down mine you can see all the way to the exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
some have baffles as a sound reducing feature,,, should look like a spiral inside the tip

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
As long as there are flappers still in there sure,,, if not buy the ones with the metal flappers,,, rubbers flappers burn out quickly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts