Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought us a new to us truck to pull the boat. Our current puller is about to go back so we decided it was time to sell the wife's little car and consolidate to just one vehicle.

It's an 03 with 5.3L 4x4 and loaded. Should be enough to pull the boat, and after a few performance upgrades even better.

Anyone else use one of these to pull with?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I am on my second chevy truck with the 5.3 I got the 3.73 gears in this one. Set the cruise at 90 and away I go. Good solid trucks.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Funny thing a buddy of mine just got one of em and here is what we found out when we were looking. They are on a Tahoe Chassis rated for 8200# trailer towing with 4.10 axle ratio, 7200# with 3.73 axle, 2wd.....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
We have a 02' Avalanche with 5.3, book says it rated at 7200 and a little more if its just 2wd. Are boat weighs about 6200 dry that with trailer, does a good job, but had a tempature issue in the hills of ky. That might be b/c it was full of gas, water, firewood, beer, ice, luggage, tents, and middle of August, middle of day with the AC on. It didn't get into the red just up to about 235.

Other then that we love it. If we go to cumberland again will leave at night :) .

Hopefully it will tow a sunny 288 good too. Jakewood, what kind of trouble did you have with yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Check out my 1998 hooptie truck. beat to $hit rust free body that pulls 12,300 lbs around like nothing. I pull in overdrive also and get 11 Mpg on flat land. Best truck I ever owned besides the beat look it has. Oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
I bought that truck for $900.00, and washed it, installed a hitch and away I go. Still beat to Puck, oh well. it works just fine sleeping next to my Bertram waiting for its next pull.

·
Registered
475 Posts
After we turned in the Dodge Ram we leased. We tried the one car thing. I even walked up to the driveway a couple of times just to realize there was no car there to drive. Couldn't live without a truck so bought this for $2500.00 to pull the boat and haul gravel for the walls I building.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I really never have had any trouble with it pulling the Sunsation...it just labors a bit up some of the steeper grades in Northern MI. I have never had any issues launching or recovering even on slippery steep ramps. If I slipped at all I would just hit the 4WD button and away we went. I tend to keep the boat on the full side with fuel and we always take too much stuff with us :) I hope my earlier post didnt sound like a complaint...We love the setup of the Avalanche. I just think that anything bigger than a well loaded 28 Sun probably is too much if you have longer/hilly pulls. In town here we have a few drawbridges that arent exactly steep but if I get caught at a light just before the approach...people behind me get a little impatient waiting for me to get moving up the approach :) The tow/haul mode helps and shifting down if needed too...

Actually my only real complaint about my 02 Av is that the grey cladding has faded terribly. It is a very washed out light grey now. I found on an Av forum a kit made by Gatorback that you can spray onto it to make it a nice dark grey like the later years. I just havent ordered the kit yet....but I probably will as the boating season winds down.

I only have 45K miles on it...the original tires still have a decent tread. I did have a full brake job done last year...stopping all that weight for the past few years finally did the original brakes in.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got to pull with it for the first time last nite. Only thing is it lets the front of the boat sit lower than the Dorango did. This in turn makes the boat bounce more giving you that jerky jerky when going down the highway. Gonna try a raised hitch and see if that helps, if not gonna get some airbags for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts