Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the small cam upgrade last year wasnt enough so I figured that with the wedding paid off I can treat myself to a few more parts. I wanted a reliable proven combo with no reversion . I'm keeping the stock 350 shortblock and picked up a used LT4 camshaft (100 shipped) new LT4 GMPP 1.6 Roller rockers ($140 shipped), Edelbrock RPM AirGap intake ($200) and a set of freshened 906 Vortec heads ($200 shipped). Some say the 906 flow a tad less , but I hear they have HD Iconel exhaust seats which made them stock on the C/K2500 and C/K3500 motors over the 062 castings on the C/K1500's. Carcraft got 401HP and 428TQ with this combo so I am thinking high 380ish with the revolutions. The couple question I have are, for the camshaft, does anybody know how much I need to tap the dowel in on the front of the cam? Its setup right now for an LT1/LT4 motor. Second.. I have a new set of GMPP head bolts with the integrated washer and teflon already installed on the bolt. I read its 65 ft LBS with these but it that dry, with oil or with moly. I looked online all night for an answer but couldnt find one. And lastly the heads are bone stock but I couldnt pass up the price. I'm going to be running beehives from another company that CFM mentioned so that I dont have to cut the seats, but with the studs, I called a local machine shop and its about 180 to installed screw in studs (Includes price of ARP studs) or, with pinning the studs be sufficiant for the 525 lift. I've pinned before and its not that hard but I dont know if I am pushing it. I dont want to invest a ton in this motor as we are always on the lookout for a 242 or 272 Formula.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All that money and sweat you are going to put in that build and going to install a used cam. That makes as much sense as buying used rubbers. Sorry, I would not do it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree about the cam. I built that exact motor combination with a Lunati marine cam and had good results. If you can afford it I would let RMBulider (marine kinectics) spec a roller cam and lifters as this will be a big gain in power.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres nothing wrong with reusing a Hydraulic Roller cam. Plus it only had about 800 miles on it. When was the last time you saw a bad roller cam. I havent. I have a complete roller valvetrain already on the motor so lifters are not any problems. Hump, I would ask for a custom cam but I'm in no mood to spend another couple hundred on a special cam. This is on a budget.

·
383 Mouse Powered 80.5GPS
682 Posts
Mkos1980 said:
Well, the small cam upgrade last year wasnt enough so I figured that with the wedding paid off I can treat myself to a few more parts. I wanted a reliable proven combo with no reversion . I'm keeping the stock 350 shortblock and picked up a used LT4 camshaft (100 shipped) new LT4 GMPP 1.6 Roller rockers ($140 shipped), Edelbrock RPM AirGap intake ($200) and a set of freshened 906 Vortec heads ($200 shipped). Some say the 906 flow a tad less , but I hear they have HD Iconel exhaust seats which made them stock on the C/K2500 and C/K3500 motors over the 062 castings on the C/K1500's. Carcraft got 401HP and 428TQ with this combo so I am thinking high 380ish with the revolutions. The couple question I have are, for the camshaft, does anybody know how much I need to tap the dowel in on the front of the cam? Its setup right now for an LT1/LT4 motor. Second.. I have a new set of GMPP head bolts with the integrated washer and teflon already installed on the bolt. I read its 65 ft LBS with these but it that dry, with oil or with moly. I looked online all night for an answer but couldnt find one. And lastly the heads are bone stock but I couldnt pass up the price. I'm going to be running beehives from another company that CFM mentioned so that I dont have to cut the seats, but with the studs, I called a local machine shop and its about 180 to installed screw in studs (Includes price of ARP studs) or, with pinning the studs be sufficiant for the 525 lift. I've pinned before and its not that hard but I dont know if I am pushing it. I dont want to invest a ton in this motor as we are always on the lookout for a 242 or 272 Formula.
I've always torqued my headbolts to 70'lbs ARP with Permatex #2 on the threads that go into the water jacket and oil on the ones under the valvecover. Never had a problem in 5 SBC's. Give Pace or Scoggin Dickey a call. They sell alot of GMPP stuff and have a decent tech line.

I would have the heads tapped and set up for screw in studs. It's cheap insurance IMO. Go for the PAC single beehive and not the Comp 918. Comp has had nothing but problems as of late as they switched from PAC to another company for their springs. This also goes for their lifters, rockers etc... They are really cheapening out and quality is suffering. Stick to the top tier brands..... Isky, Crower, Crane, Lunati etc...

Sounds like a nice setup you have planned and should provide a noticeable increase over your current setup.

As far as the used roller cam it should be ok, but make sure to really check it out before installing. If you have the capability it would not be a bad idea to mic the journals.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mkos1980 said:
Theres nothing wrong with reusing a Hydraulic Roller cam. Plus it only had about 800 miles on it. When was the last time you saw a bad roller cam. I havent. I have a complete roller valvetrain already on the motor so lifters are not any problems. Hump, I would ask for a custom cam but I'm in no mood to spend another couple hundred on a special cam. This is on a budget.
You're right on. It's a steel billet hydraulic roller... It'd probably be fine with 80,000 miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts