Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any GPS gurus recommend which one?? They are both dirt cheap models right now.. I dont need any fancy features, just a basic GPS that can easily move between vehicles..

From the reviews i could read, it seems the TomTom one gets free map updates?? and you can download goofy voices for it, like Homer Simpson, etc, for free..

It seems even a first map update from Garmin for the Nuvi 200 is charged to you?? Anyone know??

Any chance either one can load waterway maps??!!! :laugher: :laugher:

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
eyeinstine said:
Can any GPS gurus recommend which one?? They are both dirt cheap models right now.. I dont need any fancy features, just a basic GPS that can easily move between vehicles..

From the reviews i could read, it seems the TomTom one gets free map updates?? and you can download goofy voices for it, like Homer Simpson, etc, for free..

It seems even a first map update from Garmin for the Nuvi 200 is charged to you?? Anyone know??

Any chance either one can load waterway maps??!!! :laugher: :laugher:

Thanks!

Well I bought my dad one of the tom tom's last year. I cant remember which model but it was the one with the large screen.

It works really well. the voice commands are great and the screen is also good.

whatever you get i recommend getting something with one of the larger screens. I think a smal screen would have been a pain.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I have the Garmen unit and love it, I think its the Nuvi 600 series... Go for the nicer unit, you won't regret it...

Its come in VERY handy over the last year

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I have purchsed three Nuvi 200's now for friends after the first one I bought had performed well. One unit had a small programming issue(user error), Garmin Customer service was outstanding. Actually offered up some tips and programmed the unit so it works even better..
The 200 is a basic unit, easy to use(first hand). and I have had good experiences with it. I use an older GARMIN 620 or 820 or something and this matches it in every way.

The only beef I have is sometimes it may take an entry or two to figure out if the unit likes "route 32...rt 32 or 32 when finding a road.

I purchased one here from Speedwake, and then they ran out so I felt confident in a reman off Ebay. Last one I bought was 124 shipped from a trusted seller for a reman with updated latest nav software...I was happy with that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts