Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a set of props for my new boat. (28' Cmate w/ dual 300X Mercs, SM gearcase (1.75), 20" setback, prop shaft even w/ bottom).

My first choice on props were the standard Merc Choppers. My past experience is they are great on top end and mid range punch but lousy on hole shots and carring a load on a heavy boat. They are relatively cheap to buy (except the newer ETs)

Next choice would be the Merc Tempest+ (3 blade) but I soon found out that Mercury doesn't make a Tempest LH larger then 23".......

Next choice is Mirage+ props. Good out of the hole. Lots of used Mirages for sale. The + props have vent holes and the Flo Torque hub. When blue printed they are great on top end.

Next choice would be the 4 blade Bravo 1s. They are relatively cheap to buy (Jacco- $383.00). GREAT hole shots and mid range punch.

What props would you guys pick? Any other props?

Thanks-
SCT

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Make a phone call to Marcus at Power Tech in Shreveport. They do a ton of props-make their own and have a lot of experience with OB.
Marcus 1-800-736-7767

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
A lot of the bass boat guys are running the Trophy Plus. I tried one on my center console and although it was the fastest, its slipped everywhere else more. Cruise dropped and holeshot sucked. Every setup is so different.
Many like Rev4's as well. They really carry the boat. I would like to try one if I could find a clean 19 pitch.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Stay away from the Choppers!!!! As well as stay away from a 3 blade, your set up should be high enough that you can hardly get on plane with a 3 blade in order for you to ge tthe most out of your hull!!! Are you mounted directly to the bracket or do you have plates?? manuel or Hydraulic as well???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Shameless,

I'm going to end up buying a set of 28' Bravo 1s. I agree, choppers are not a very good all around prop for a heavier boat like mine.

My set up: 20" mids, 20" setback, manual J/Ps, and 26" centers. I'm hoping for 83- 85.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
sct said:
Hey Shameless,

I'm going to end up buying a set of 28' Bravo 1s. I agree, choppers are not a very good all around prop for a heavier boat like mine.

My set up: 20" mids, 20" setback, manual J/Ps, and 26" centers. I'm hoping for 83- 85.

Shannon,

Fully rigged yet???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shame-

Actually, I was up in OH today and stopped by Kunkel's Marine to see my boat. It should be done in a week or two. They are pretty busy "winterizing" customer boats right now. I'll post some pixs when I pick it up.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
sct said:
Shame-

Actually, I was up in OH today and stopped by Kunkel's Marine to see my boat. It should be done in a week or two. They are pretty busy "winterizing" customer boats right now. I'll post some pixs when I pick it up.
i'm waiting too :D

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
sct said:
Shame-

Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
how about a full side shot . they changed the hullside mold . my 95 had had a crease about 5 inches under the rub rail. i think i'm looking for something there . would like to see how it sits in the water.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Very nice!!!! Curious, how come brackets like you have instead of, say a Satinless marine type with a built in platform. Are there pros to the set up you have???

Tcob, yes, the molds are a bit different, look at the transom too, different then yours...

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Shameless said:
Very nice!!!! Curious, how come brackets like you have instead of, say a Satinless marine type with a built in platform. Are there pros to the set up you have???

Tcob, yes, the molds are a bit different, look at the transom too, different then yours...
The type he has, he can adjust the X Dim. Stianless bracket is a set height, you could add jackplates to the stainless bracket, but that is a LOOOTT of setbeck :D

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
RCHEVELLE71 said:
The type he has, he can adjust the X Dim. Stianless bracket is a set height, you could add jackplates to the stainless bracket, but that is a LOOOTT of setbeck :D
Checkmates LIKE setback...When I was talking to Checkmate and Kunkels about building a boat like this, we were going to do the Stainless bracket with jackplates.

Just curious, not knocking you in anyway SCT... :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Shameless,

I looked into a Dana/ Stainless "platform" style bracket but did not buy one for several reasons.

First, I had already bought the high dollar 30" polished Dana trim tabs and didn't think the white platform bracket was the style I wanted for the boat. I was going for a "bare bone" Poker Run style boat. Second, the Dana/ Stainless platforms were a couple thousand dollars for a twin setup. (I actually wanted a set of the older Gil "round tube" brackets to refurbish and powdercoat.)

I'll probably have the J/Ps anodized black and add two small polished billet swim platforms this winter.

Any estimates on the top end for the boat??

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
sct said:
Hey Shameless,

I looked into a Dana/ Stainless "platform" style bracket but did not buy one for several reasons.

First, I had already bought the high dollar 30" polished Dana trim tabs and didn't think the white platform bracket was the style I wanted for the boat. I was going for a "bare bone" Poker Run style boat. Second, the Dana/ Stainless platforms were a couple thousand dollars for a twin setup. (I actually wanted a set of the older Gil "round tube" brackets to refurbish and powdercoat.)

I'll probably have the J/Ps anodized black and add two small polished billet swim platforms this winter.

Any estimates on the top end for the boat??
I was not trying to seocond guess you, again, just curious and you make very good points... :D

Now, more pics!!!! :D

Guess for WOT...83mph (GPS)

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
i prefer clean unclutered styling / colors in spite of what i bought . i'm anxious to see it in the water with a full side view. i think you're on the right track , will be interesting to see how you get there. i'd also love to see a running shot to see it's attitude. although i won't be running along side you :laugher:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"I was not trying to seocond guess you, again, just curious and you make very good points... " Shame

No problem, Shameless. I just wanted a sportier look for the boat. Also, my setbacks are alot "beefier" then they look in the pixs. I'll post more pixs when I pick the boat up from Kunkels Marine.

SCT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts