Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what octane fuel people are running and with what motor/s ? And where do you buy it?Land/water?
I have a stock 502 and it runs fine on 87 octane. I fill up on land.
I have tried the fuel at the marina. It is supposed to have Valtek added. It did not improve performance,and to be truthful got worse economy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I always fill up on land (trailer). I burn 93 Amoco. I run a 461 supercharged motor. I've never tried less octane for fear of meltdown. I hope I never have to fill at the marina. There's very few marinas with high octane. (usually 89 is the highest) It will be a slow ride back if I do.(no-low boost).

·
Registered
823 Posts
I use 89 octane in my 454mag mpi, i thank it takes heat better than 87, if you run it hard for a long time, since it has a thermostat in the cooling system it runs at 160 to 170 degrees of water temp, it might not matter, but you asked:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
running high octane with stock motors is a waste of money and horse power. if you dont have the compression to fire the higher octane fuel it is just harder for the motor to fire that fuel. In running a higher compression engine or blower motors then you will want the higher octane. I will say though that running a mix of the purple gas is the sweetest smell around.
Mark:cool:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regular 87, gas up on land, marina's on the lake only have premium, and they charge an arm and leg for it. Oh yeah, twin 454's.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
stock EFI
motor,,, give me the cheap stuff !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Stock 350 Mag carb'd. 87 octane on land.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts