Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has gotten out of boating and has given me a few filters from his boat. He had a Merc HP500 and ran fram HP4 filters. My 2000 Merc 502 MAG has the same remote oil setup as his HP500 but came running the short filter from Merc (or fram ph6606). Will there be any problem running these filiters on my engine? Anyone with info, lets hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
SPLASHER...All it could do is filter more oil, which wouldn't hurt. I ran them on a 502 mag Sunsation and had no problems, and still run them on my 32 Sunsation w/ 502 crate motors..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Enigma. Kind of wondered about running the same short filter on my 502 as my buddy does on his 4.3 V-6. Seemed strange. I will feel better with more volume in that filter. You wouldn't be from Lockport NY by chance?

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Splasher..Lockport, Il. which is just outside Joliet.(the opening sc enes from The Blues Brothers was filmed about 2 miles from my place).Im also about halfway between BOATNUT and OBNOXUS (and MRS.OBNOXUS too!!!!!)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Hey splasher, some of these racing filters have a valve in them so they do not drain wile not running, I'm planning on switching mine to a purolator next change. Ran there racing filter on my last boat and worked just fine, can't recall the #'s tho ( it had the valve inside it)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About those valves..........I've seen the rubber check-valves on filters on the input section (outer set of holes) but have to wonder what would keep the oil from seeping through the filter media and down the center hole back into the pan? The Merc filter I used when I winterized has this check-valve on the input side. I fired up the engine to fog and put it to sleep for the winter. Now the filter was full of oil at that point. When I pulled the cover off this past week I pulled the filter to entertain myself and found that the filter was completely dry. The oil had seeped through the media and into the pan. Do the filters you are speaking of have some sort of check-valve on the output (center) hole as well?

Does anyone here know how long the filter remains full of oil after shutdown on average? I have that dammed upside down arrangement so the oil will run right out first chance it gets.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
All I have to say is,,,, PRELUBER !!!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
You can't beat the preluber, your right. Splasher, I was only told about these valves, hadn't realy investigated it any further. My last bout had a remote mount and the filter was upright, maybe these valves don't work that great upside down. I'm going to call around today, I need to change my oil soon and I'll check all this out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking of just re-fitting to an "upright" filter mount and not worrying about it anymore. Whoever heard of mounting a filter upside down, makes no sense! Let me know what you find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts