Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang just getting ready to change the oil in the tugboat again and was wondering if you guys use the Mercury Filters or if you buy something else. I have always used the merc ones but they are kinda pricey and I am running the boat a lot more than ever before. So the oil changes are coming up more often. Just wondered what you guys do????? oh yea 454 mag's 1995

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I dont really know how well they are made But I've always stayed with the merc ones and their oil to. I have in the past bought Mobile 1 filters. I learned a long time ago the filter is very critical in both flow and ability to pull micro particals out of the oil. Anyway you probally knew all that Just my .02. Good Luck, Mark B.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
mfb,I do not use the Mercury filters and have over 350 hours on my 502 with no problems. (so far) Actually I go to k-mart and buy the AC oil filters and run straight Penzoil 40 weight. just my.02

·
Registered
753 Posts
I usually run the big 2quart Amzoil filter.

I have run Syntec in the past but I might try a new oil this year.
I'm considering either Redline or Royal Purple. the only thing is I usually change it every 20hrs, I might be better off using the Merc stuff . Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
My buddie runs the Royal Purple, nice stuff. If you change your oil every 20 hours,in my opinion it would be a HUGE waste of money to run any synthetic oil. just my.02

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
When I bought my boat(used), I took it to have an an annual done on it and the merc mech said that it had an automotive filter on it. He said to never run an automotive filter. I did not ask why, just assumed he knew more than I did.:pirate: :pirate:

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Merc stuff is good, but not really worth the extra money, or hastle of getting it. Any good standard oil filter will work well, there is an advantage of using a composite filter (like a Mobil 1) the material inside doesn't seem to be affected as bad by the water that will collect inside your engine from vapor. As far as the oil, any good quality should be fine, like your Penzoil, or Valvoline. Synthetics are Great, Redline, & Royal purple both make a killer product, but like most of us you'll change you oil on the quick side to be safe, so there is no real benifit, unless you have a lot of other toys, and want to put the oil into them, after you put your 20 hrs in. I know people who will do this, but it becomes too much like work.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been using the Royal Purple, it is made here in Houston and a buddy of mine is one of their engineers so I get it cheap. I have it in my truck Tranny/rearend/oil/PS works great. That was kinda what I thought about the filter, any good one will work was what I was thinking and it seems that a lot of you feel the same way. I change the filter every 25 hours and the oil at 50 since I am running the Royal Purple I don't think it is gonna hurt it. The oil is a full synthetic so it should last way longer than that without a problem. Guys thanks for the input.........:alien:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I run a FRAM oil filter and Mobil 1 oil.
I know, I've heard the stories about FRAM filters and I must say that in all the years I've been using them I've never had one fail.
I tried a Purolator PureOne and I'll never use it again. It actually reduced the oil pressure due to the extra fine filter element.
The fuel/water seperator is a Purolator.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
WHAT IS THE PART NUMBER ?

I have always liked AC Delco oil filters, but have always used Mercury/Quicksilver filters on my boat. I have wanted to use the Delco filter on the boat, but was afraid to try it. After reading this, I am going to use one. Now the question: Do you use a #PF 25 (AC Delco) or what. I have a 1998 7.4 MPI.
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
this may sound like a stupid question but is there some logic to the idiotic idea of mounting an oil filter upside down on Mercuiser engines?

Are they also in the towel business, because I ruin one every time I change my oil.

I also change the oil in my outdrive every season. (another excuse to buy more tools).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ditto....what Wildchild said, except I run the Merc filter on the boat and Wix on the trucks. The Pantera has K&N filters on now from the previous owner. 40W Valvoline oil.

·
Registered
144 Posts
JeffJ

I always thought an upside down filter would be easier to change as the oil would drain out.

Of course upside down is a relative position!:laugher: Your upside down could be my right side up and visa versa!:laugher:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ha....I just saw that! I've been exploring all the buttons on the site and just reviewed all the members!

WELCOME TOO OLD!

What oil were you running in the boat? And gear oil.....what were you running there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
JeffJ,

I have to agree with you about the oil filter position! I'd love to hear the reasoning behind mounting the thing upside down. Makes one wonder who thinks up these things.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They weren't thinking up they thought down.................:laugher:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts