Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
just looked the engine compartment and found that after winterizing the boat last fall the shop left a quart of oil under the hatch with the cap loose. well of coarse it fell and leaked all over the back side of the compartment against the stern and down into the sump:devious: . Any ideas on how to clean it out without making a mess??? (its nothing but fiberglass and i thought about running a hose??, but not sure that will clean it up!!)

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Go buy some simple gren. It will clean it up great. I even leave a little in my bilge at all times. The movement keeps it nice and clean,and it smells good when you open the hatch.Kinda like hanging one of those christmas tree thingys ,but better:)

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
If you have a pretty good puddle of oil in there, go get one of the oil absorption pads they have at West Marine, it will soak most of it up then do any of the things the others have said to clean up what is left.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Yea,What FA18Driver said. They look like a giant tampon,except no string:D

See,thats why we need you here. I would have opened the transom plug and tried to save the oil:laugher: :laugher:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
HEY....i think honey has some of them in the bathroom cabinet!!...... the GREAT BIG ones...right??

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm glad that came up. I have some filthy water in my engine compartment also. I will try the simple green. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
They look like a giant tampon,except no string (boatnut)
the GREAT BIG ones (dwilpat)

ONLY ON SPEEDWAKE.COM CAN YOU GET SUCH DESCRIPTIONS !!!

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Between all this great tips and the exceptional floss inventory of BN and Stuchamp-this has to be the premier site on the net. What about a Simple Green-Tampon Combination? The "smells good when you open the hatch" has great possibilities.

Gilla

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
No one likes to open their hatch and get that
NOT SO FRESH FEELING:D

gilla,iksnay on the simple -green tampon idea,that was going to be my next business. I was going to try selling them door to door next week,then if all went well it would be off to the BIG TIME.
Thats right,the FLEA MARKET.

laster,gambrinus-this is one of those boat talk sessions you guys were talking about yesterday in another thread. Jump in anytime and join the fun:D

Where else can you get info like this??? PRICELESS

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you can try not to let the bilge pump suck up any of the oil-some of them can have case damage from oil. (Of course the manufacturer NEVER would have figured oil might be down there in the bilge:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Dawn dishwasing soap works awesome. Squirt it all over the bottom of the bilge and go to town with a hose with a nosil. By the time you get all the suds rinsed out the oil will be gone too. I do this all the time and it keeps my bilge squeaky clean and is very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Jeff,

In your own words from a previous post "you are anal", but probably have the most detailed rig around. I thought a tooth brush might be a bit much-but Q-tips?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Jeff, you are not REALLY anal unless you take the tires off your trailer to Armorall the insides.:D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hey nut, some of us aren't here 24/7. Sorry I came in late.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
B.R.S. is righton about Dawn dishwasher soap, that works great and then follow with Simple Green. My 0.2 worth.
:) :)

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
What you guys don't pull the tires off and clean behind them? Shoot I open the engine once a week and wipe down all the parts just to make sure they are ok:D I too have been called anal about my cars and such. I have been known to was em 4 or 5 times a week. And to get under it and wipe down everything. But thank god I have gotten out of that habit, I only wipe it down once in a while now:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts