Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the boat out today.While crusing I heard something clunk.Thought I hit something in the water.Started giving it some throttle,and I could get 6000 RPM's....Also water temp was about 130 degrees,now I know thats not high,but I have no t-stat in my boat and the guage barely reads 100 degrees. WTF..Tried it a couple more times,same thing. I pull into a Marina since I needed oil(and forgot it) and lifted my outdrive.It felt like my prop had slipped up,and I was worried that I might have left it loose since I had it off yestedday while I touched up the drive.Of course my prop wrench is back at the boat launch in my truck.

Well I'm only about 10-15 minutes away from the launch,but at idle speed 2 HOURS.
So I get back to the launch,prop seems fine. I yank it off anyway and find a piece of plastic. So i take that out. About this time my wife informs me she is really sick and up chucking in the bathroom,and wants to go home. She says take one more blast,and she was going to go get the truck..

So I take another blast,engine RPM'S are now at about 5400 but I am only doing 60 mph on the GPS..

Any clues as to where to look guys...I thought maybee it's just my tach is going bad,but doesn't explain all the other weirdness....

HELP ME

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Paul, are you running a rubber hub prop?? where was this "plastic" and what did it look like?? 6000 rpm??? small block??

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Paul , what is your normal WOT..?? RPM AND SPEED?? 6000 RPM on a big block seems very high!!! ALL PROP BLADES LOOK GOOD? no vibration??.. I hope your motor couplier didn't slip!!! mite wanna check it out...:eek: ;) :mad: :confused:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea ,thats what I'm saying....6000 rpm is really high. My normal was about 5200 and it ran a solid 65 mph.Prop is fine,and no engine vibration

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Ouch......... 6000 rpm's where's the limiter??? you will blow that puppy up with those kinda Rpm's........ I would look at the coupler also.... but the last one I blew torn in two and that was it...... let us know what cha find....

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wasn't at 6000 rpm's very long.....
stuchamp,shift spool??:confused: explain

FA18Driver,no limiter,just me and a tach...it's a 1990 ,no limiter when I purchased the boat.

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
I think on your year of boat there is a shift spool on top. If its beginning to go, it will clunk and slip, allowing rpm to rise and slowing the boat. Sort of like a slipping clutch. Also the adjustment could be off, doing the same thing. Weren't you doing something with cables awhile back ?

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks stu...no I wasn't doing anything with cables,that was ob... But I will pull out the Merc manual and check it out....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Boatnut,
Did you smell any rubber burning? That would indicate the coupler. I hope it's not the cone clutch in the drive slipping. I do know someone with an overabundance of drives if that’s the problem. :D I'll PM you my phone number.
Dan

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan,no rubber smell....the really pisser is I drove from Skipper's to Alsip at idle....Boy did that ever suck the big one.......Hey,if it's the cone clutch,I can install one in less than a hour.
The funny thing now,is it seems intermittant.What I am afraid of is breaking down:(
Most likely with guests on the boat.
I will most likely run into you and Vicki this weekend

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan,am not sure yet. I ran the boat today,but something just ain't right. I've had that boat for 3 years now,and never hooked up the trim guage. You just know your boat,and how she should perform. I will probabily yank the drive this week,and do exploritory surgery.

Where were you guy's today?? It was a excellent day.:D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Did you get my email? I had to work today to make up for Saturday. :( Hopefully things will be back to normal shortly. Are you guys going to watch the start of the Poker Run on Saturday?

Just had an idea: You could use my drive for a test spin to see if the problem goes away. It would help you narrow it down between the drive and the coupler.

Dan

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dan,
That is a very generous offer,and I might take you up on that.Yes,I did get your e-mail with your phone #... I will let you know......

You missed a great day,the water was real warm over at Beercan

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
LETS JUST OPEN IT UP AND SEE WHAT EVERYTHING LOOKD LIKE!!!!!! I wouldnt mind flipping that clutch over again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts