Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but only a moment ok?

I joke about having a drink in hand when I'm driving the boat, but I'm kidding. Those of you who know me, know I'm pretty safety conscious... No, I don't volunteer for the Coast Guard Auxiliary to give safety inspections, but I always make sure my passengers are safe and know the rules of navigation, can read and understand charts and know alot of weather (getting a Pilot's license helped a lot in the weather department).

I'd like to know what courses folks have taken.

I've taken the USPS basic course and advanced navigation and also took a class in Celestial Navigation where I learned how to use a Sextant, do sun, moon and star sights. It was a great learning experience.

So let's hear about the classes you've taken.

Jeff

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Ok,serious only for a moment.My wife and I took coast guard safety classes. I think it was about a 8 week class and was pretty interesting. I still can't tie a knot worth a damn.I beleive it also qualified us for about a 10 percent discount on our insurance.

JEFF Quote:
I joke about having a drink in hand when I'm driving the boat, but I'm kidding.

(1boatnut)Call me a prude,but I do not drink when I am driving the boat.
I only drink when driving my car,it's safer:D

Jeff: Quote
I learned how to use a Sextant, moon . It was a great learning experience.

(1boatnut)I like to think I already know the sex thingy your talking about,and I'm 1 hell of a mooner too!!!!!!!
:laugher:

Don't wanna get to serious,I could hurt someone-even me:D :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
USPS basic course.

Also certified as a MD safe boating instructor. Prepping for my six pack but I keep putting it off.

My wife and 12 year old son have also passed the MD boating course.

I don't drink on the boat till the fridge opens:laugher: No, seriously not while underway or if I have to leave where I'm at.

I do drink like a fish while operating the Sea Doo though, just so I can keep up the bad reputation of PWC operators:D ;) :D

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Somebody say six pack :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I took the USPS basic course followed by Seamanship, Piloting and Advanced Piloting. The last course was something like 11 weeks and I spent more time working on charting. Good thing I had a good supply of erasers - damn it's easy to make one small mistake on a plotting exercise and not notice it until eight steps later when your plot runs up on land.:( Erasse the last eight legs and start over and after just 30 minutes to an hour you are right where you should have been earlier. After that I decided that I had had enough courses so I started teaching the public safety course.:cool: I meet a lot of nice people that way and (I hope) get them started on their way to a safe boating future. BTW, I get my insurance through the Power Squadron and it was 200.00 lower than the nest best quote.:cool:

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Sorry, I have never attended any boating type classes. But does 45 years experience on the "Ole Miss" count ?
I also have read many books on the subject, Chapmans, etc.
If I was boating on the coasts or Great Lakes, I would definately need more instruction.
I was taught at a very young age that safety is rule #1, always.
After that the other rules will easily fall into place, plus some common sense will go a long ways.
I do allow drinking on the boat, but if you drink, you don't drive or ski. Since I don't get to drink anymore (none since '84), I almost always drive. Man, am I thirsty! :D

I do think taking courses is an excellant idea, especially for people who are new to boating and never have been on the water much before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
USCG "Boating Safety & Seamanship" way back when;
went ahead and got the 50 ton Master's License a couple of years ago.

If anybody is thinking about the "six-pack" license - when I took my class, there wasn't much difference between the six-pack and the master - a couple extra questions in two of the test sections.
The test "methods" have changed since then, this may not be the case anymore.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I have been driving performance boats since I was 14 (the old man's 426 hemi in the Sanger flatbottom) and have had a half dozen boats myself. I decided to take the Power Squadron boaters safety course this pass winter. I learned a hell of a lot, especially the fact that I still have a lot to learn.

Jeff, I'm glad to see you make the comment about your view on driving and drinking, I almost had my doubts before, keep up the smart boating promotions. I don't know about the Chesapeake, but here in Michigan we have more than our share of stupidity accidents.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Aggressor Tom said:
I don't know about the Chesapeake, but here in Michigan we have more than our share of stupidity accidents.
Thats for sure!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I took a boating safety class once,,, but I was so drunk I slept through it !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
And for those of you with no sence of humor,,,, yes I was kidding,,, actually we don't drink on the boat at all...... I drive crazy enough with boatnut as it is without adding alcohol to the mix !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts