Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again.
July 1st we had a new CEO start, old one was terminated, and he has decided some of us must go.
Tuesday the COO, CFO, Director of Marketing and one of his employees and the MIS Department Manager got the ax.
Yesterday the Project Manager of the only money making contract we have was let go along with a few secretaries, one person from our stockroom, a mechanical engineer, Project Engineer, our only machine maintenence person and a couple of others.
Today? Who knows.
For the survivors we have an all hands meeting this afternoon. At that time the CEO will unveil his reorganization plans and goals.

At one time we had over 1000 people here. Now we're down to 110-120.
The last two layoffs were painful since all those were friends that I've worked side by side with for 14 years.
One friend, who wasn't layed off, said "I don't know what's worse, being layed off or getting left behind".
Tough either way.

I hate days like this.:unhappy1:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tough times don't last, but tough people do.
Thanks Jeff, your absolutely right.
I've been down and out before, I'm a survivor.

I just hope I don't take the hit.

·
Banned
69,292 Posts
JEFFJ said:

Tough times don't last, but tough people do.

- jeff
Thanks for that Jeff! I needed that!

Three years ago the company I work for sold to a very large company. That very large company has totally run us into the ground. We are now closing our doors in 30-60 days. (We've been here since 1920!)

It sucks. But as Iggy said, I don't know whats worse, working for a bunch of loser's, or moving on.

As a side note, our company produced 18 million dollars in pure profit for these jerk me offs during the three year payoff years. (1997-2000)

Now we are losing money each month. We went from Kiss Ass Forge to Candy Ass forge over frickin' night!

I'm really not worried about me and my family, we will get by, but the other 150 people that work here will have problems.

When the going gets tough, the tough better get going!

·
Banned
69,292 Posts
JEFFJ said:

ever heard of the Lenape Forge?

- jeff
Can't say that I have. But thanks for the link. We really do not compete with them. I think they are more suited for specialized forging, although they have extensive capabilities.

We are more into construction equipment, oil, farm tractors and automotive.

I do want to work for another SUCCESSFUL forge company, but I gotta live in an area that averages at least 60" of snow/year. Snowmobiling is as fun as boating, if you can handle the cold. But, no bikini clad babes on sleds. !:unhappy1:

Just found out that the old group that sold this place just might buy it back. YAHOO :smile1:

:alien:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My wife was layed off last September and since the theme parks (Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World) layed off too they flooded the job market with thousands of people in the local area. It's been next to impossible to find work.
The wife is also a full time student, nights, learning Animation, Computer Graphics and Web Design. She'll finish sometime next year.
We burned up all our investments paying bills and came close to going bankrupt. We've been surviving on +/- 50.00 a week for food.
Yeah, it's been hell. But we've been worse.
Now I have a part time job at Disney, EPCOT (I still work full time besides) and the wife got a full time job at a new Macy's but that one won't start till September.
The light is at the end of the tunnel.
With my luck it'll be the headlamp of an oncoming train. :rolleyes:

The meeting we had yesterday was reassuring at best. New CEO claims we are not going out of business.
We are making a profit, we have no debt but our overhead cost was way out of control. With the upper management layoffs he was able to trim over 1M (30%) out of the budget. The new people appointed to fill those vacated positions will be making far less than their predecessors.
His short and long term goals sound good.
The problem is that we still occupy a building that was meant to house a very large workforce (1000+). With only the 110-120 that's left our customers get the impression we're going under. All this space and no one in it.
Remember, perception is reality.
The building is for sale and management plans on leasing back what we need to operate.
So, now we have to change the image and bring in new contracts. It's going to be a long road.
I'd be interested in searching for a new job but after 14 years here it's hard to think about leaving.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
69,292 Posts
Hey dude,stay strong.....will and determination go a LONG way.Sounds like things are flowing in a positive direction.
In my many years in Management in the Auto business,I found myself jobless on many occasions.I just lost a job(Dealer Sold)was
un-enjoyed for 4 months,found another job,worked there 3 days and landed in the hospital.I was un-employed twice in less than a 2 year period. I postponed a needed operation because of my new position.I worked 1 more month and went in for the operation.I was supposed to be off a minium of 6-10 weeks.
I CAME BACK IN 2 WEEKS.
Worked 7 more months,and the ******* fired me,for not working my day off,when I told him I had a doctors appointment and waited 3 weeks to get it...........

I am just telling you all this for a couple of reasons.I do know EXACTLY how you feel,but as far as loyalty,and your 14 years in the company,be careful. Be loyal to yourself.Don't come out the looser.Check out opportunities when you are at the top of your game....This way YOU are in control.....
Hope it all works out.........
I hate to see a fellow boater in despair:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.