Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 30' scarab with a 540 and bavo 1 outdrive
the shifter bellows is leaking how hard is it to pull this drive?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Pretty easy, most of the time.

1. Remove the shaft going through the trim rams.
2. remove (6) bolts.
3. Slide drive out just far enough to unhook the shift cable.
4. Pull it off. You might want to have a buddy around, it's kinda heavy.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Its pretty easy just make sure you have a friend. The suckers are heavy. I always remove and reinstall mine alone and its a beotch....

Ill try to walk you throgh it as best I can.

Trim down until drive is horizontal with ground.

remove the trim rams

undo the tube going from the pitot tube to the speedo.

remove 6 bolts holding drive on

Now here is where is gets interesting. The drive should slide out pretty easy. If you have had water leaking into the main bellow your gimbal bearing could be rusted to the drive shaft. You may have to lift the drive up slightly and lightly drop it down to free it up. Or you may have to beat it to death...... I have not had one give me much issue so hopefully you are good to go.

I have not personally replaced the main bellow. I know you need to use some type of bellow expanding tool.

I have replaced the shifter bellow without any issue. You will need to remove the entire lower shifter cable which is pretty easy. Just unbolt it from the drive and unbolt from the engine. You need to remove the end of the shifter cable which attaches to the motor in order for it to slide out of the drive from the transom.

im sure this was vague but hopefully it gives you a little insight

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
axkiker said:
Its pretty easy just make sure you have a friend. The suckers are heavy. I always remove and reinstall mine alone and its a beotch....
I modified this engine stand to make life a little easier. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would do just as mentioned above with the exception of taking the shift cable completly of, because depending of your set up, putting the cable back in thrue the transom plate and being able to grab it to connect it back to your engine could be tricky, mostly if you don't have much room to acces the back of your engine in your boat.

I mean I just change mine without taking the cable off, I was able to slide the bellows over the nut at the cable extremity. The tricky part is to do it whitout damaging the bellows.

What I did, I put multiple layers of electric tape around the cable just in front of the nut, and made it like a cone shape, so the small hole of the bellows, which is tight on the cable, find it's way in over the nut. Before you try to slide the bellows over the tape and nut, put a little grease on the cable and it should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

thanks for the help decided to send it to the shop and have all the hoses and bellows changed along with the trim switch as it was also causing problems having outdriv serviced and syntech lube installed

·
Registered
833 Posts
Let us know how much it was.... i would like to compare some of the prices I've heard from this kind of work.

I too have a bit of a leak. I would like to do it myself because I have all the parts.... but the lazy side of me would like to drop it off and get it back fixed without killing a weekend. Time is money, so either way I'll end up paying

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Super24 said:
I modified this engine stand to make life a little easier. :cool:

I really like that engine stand idea. I have been meaning to make either one of thoes or an attachment for my jack. So far I have just not had the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took boat to shop tear down found a bad ,top pin hole wobbled out,so cost went up if he has to pull motor to get tiller off price could be around $3000 just want the boat back togeather and back in the water let you know what happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts