Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better set than the GLM39020 for early 454's?

Should I consider piecing a set together with the better intake and head gaskets?

Just thinking about gathering some parts for rebuilds in the early fall. Trying to get a nice goody list of stuff I don't want to get WRONG from the get go.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMP31 said:
Felpro marine head gaskets!
I was planning on using those and the Felpro 1212 intake set.

I haven't looked at buying all the gaskets individually, just saw some of the "overhaul" kits.

I've also seen this: http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=90088F

Can anyone confirm or deny that that set would work with my choice of head and intake gasket sets?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure about that combo --

Jim Benny built up a set of CNC alum. heads w/inc. and ss valves. He recomended the gaskets.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little bump on this one, ordered a few thousand in parts last night between Summit and Flatlander, NO GASKETS! ;)

Anyone have a part number or link to some semi- complete sets, (top and bottom).

I'll admit, I'm a little confused on how they sell gaskets, is there any difference between regular Fel-Pro and "marine" for parts other than the intake and heads?

Trying not to get nickle and dimed on the gaskets, I have the rest of the winter ahead of me and I'm fairly sure the WHOLE BOAT will be doing that to me!

blocks and heads go out to the machine shop end of next week I hope.......

Little help?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can give you a Fel Pro marine number for whatever you need. Post what gaskets you're looking for, and what generation engine you have. Or shoot me a PM with the info.

The only Fel Pro's you need to buy as "marine" numbers, are the head and intake gaskets. Saves you alot to buy the other stuff (oil pan, timing cover, etc.)as an automotive number, and there's no difference. I can set you up with those numbers as well.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, imagine you have a pile of parts.......

Let me know if I miss any:

Oil pan
distributor
water pump(s)
front and rear main seals
intakes (marine)
heads (marine)
timing cover (included with new covers?)
manifolds

I'm missing a lot,............ right?

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it's a Gen IV, with oval port heads:

Fel Pro marine head set # is 17240, conversion set (lower set) is 17140. That head set will contain Fel Pro marine head gaskets and intake gaskets. Those two numbers will contain all the gaskets you need. I'm assuming that your engine is oval port, since you mentioned the 1212 gasket, which is oval port.

EDIT: I just saw the title of your post, which says you're working on a mag (rectangle port). In that case, the head set is a 17246.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you have a source for Fel Pro, you could price it up this way:

These are Fel Pro HP numbers, the head and intake gaskets are the same as the marine. You could price it out both ways, this might be cheaper depending on where you're buying them.

Head gaskets: 1037
Intake Gaskets: 1211
Exhaust gaskets: 1410
Oil pan: 1804
Valve cover: 1635
RACE set: 2703

The RACE set means remainder to assemble complete engine, and it comes with a rear seal, water pump, distributor, timing cover, front seal, etc.

The 1211 intake gasket is assuming you have GM heads withe the four "upper" holes. If you have an aftermarket head, you may need the 1275 intake set.

Also, the 1635 valve cover set is the reuseable neoprene with the steel reinforced center. They're pricey, but they're worth it. You can use em over and over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts