Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I`m not an expert, but I believe that if you prime with epoxy primer or possibly a self-etching primer, you will be ok.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sand it real well or bead blast it if possible. Prime with a good epoxy or self etching primer then I'd suggest a good quality single stage urethane paint. Easier to touch up than a basecoat/clearcoat paint.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
45sonic said:
Sand it real well or bead blast it if possible. Prime with a good epoxy or self etching primer then I'd suggest a good quality single stage urethane paint. Easier to touch up than a basecoat/clearcoat paint.
Do I need to remove all the galvanize off the metal?

·
Registered
193 Posts
To be honest I just did a light sand I don`t remember the grit, You can use a primer than the color you want. I just hated the way the boat looked with it being galvanized. This project should cost less than $25, you can use a roller or brush I also used a spray can for some spots.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Unless there's ALOT better products out now (probably are) it was a bit_h when I was a kid. I can remember my Dad trying ALL kinds of stuff trying to get white paint on the outside of galvanized ice merchandisers. I don't think he ever came up with anything worth a ****. Someone somewhere has probably got a way, but until I saw results in person and knew they lasted, I wouldn't try it personally...
My.02 Good Luck and post results if you do it!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts