Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone have a palm treo.

I have been looking at phones lately and the treos seem to be what I like. I looked at the blackberrys and they dont have a stylus. I looked at the I phone and they dont integrate with email every well. So far the treo has been the winner.

any pros or cons.

There are a few others which seem to fit the bill but they are $400.00+ I not spending that much on a phone which will have the crap beat out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have the blackberry curve and love it. switched over from the blackjack. have a friend who has the treo and loved it until he saw the curve. he is now switching to blackberry.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I have the treo 650. I like it, I got used to the "bulk"
I like the palm application and the email and such has been a breeze to work with. I have no problems with it. I did find the treo Bluetooth ear piece worked best with it...
I dont use it for camera or video unless its handy and just a fun pic to email or document, but those both work well.
The qwerty keyboard is easy to use and depending on hoew you hold it, one hand operation can be a stretch.

My only dislike about it is once I get out of My contact list, I dont care for the huge touch screen as a phone. The numbers in teh keyboard are small to use as a phone as well... but other than that, I like it, and it has been super reliable. I have only had one issue ...with the spot where you stick the charger in...it came loose and was hard to take the charge. It was out of warranty but they gave me a new phone(verizon).

It linked up very nice with my Microsoft Outlook... and I was able to download some word and excel document easily.
The touchscreen is responsive and works well...
Programs are easy to find and open quickly

I would upgrade to the latest version, I think the size is a bit thinner now, but I have had no reason...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the main thing that I like about the treo is the stylus. I have messed with a couple blackberrys and didnt care for the scroll features with no stylus..... The treo seems to have the both of best worlds......

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
axkiker said:
Hey does anyone have a palm treo.

I have been looking at phones lately and the treos seem to be what I like. I looked at the blackberrys and they dont have a stylus. I looked at the I phone and they dont integrate with email every well. So far the treo has been the winner.

any pros or cons.

There are a few others which seem to fit the bill but they are $400.00+ I not spending that much on a phone which will have the crap beat out of it.
I bought a Palm Treo 700 off of Ebay, I love it. Battery lasts longer than any phone I have ever used and having the Palm features is a great plus.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
I love my blackberry curve, but I don't use it for email. Jeff loves his AT&T tilt for its size, screen, internet, keyboard, camera, oh and making phone calls too... it does have a stylus. :D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I have a buddy with the treo,,,, he likes it,,,, everyone else he talks to on it hates it !!!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
the 700w(x) series has a windows mobile OS, while the 700p is a Palm OS.

the 700w syncs directly with exchange (email, contacts, calander, etc)...if you have exchange setup on your server to allow it. Downside is the windows mobile OS has alot of problems and needs to be rebooted daily. I have one myself, and support 10 others across the country.

I dont have much experience with the 700p, but I hear they run better then the windows OS.....less rebooting. I imagine the palm OS only does pop3 email, so if you need full exchange syncing, this wont do it unless you install a piece of palm software on your exchange server that will "push" emails out to your phone rather than pop3.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MarkyMark said:
the 700w(x) series has a windows mobile OS, while the 700p is a Palm OS.

the 700w syncs directly with exchange (email, contacts, calander, etc)...if you have exchange setup on your server to allow it. Downside is the windows mobile OS has alot of problems and needs to be rebooted daily. I have one myself, and support 10 others across the country.

I dont have much experience with the 700p, but I hear they run better then the windows OS.....less rebooting. I imagine the palm OS only does pop3 email, so if you need full exchange syncing, this wont do it unless you install a piece of palm software on your exchange server that will "push" emails out to your phone rather than pop3.
Okay that is some great info. Now since im not a computer guru break this down for me. Which one of these will be able to hook up to my work email.... We have outlook as most companies do I guess.....

Im not sure about having exchange setup in the server since I dont deal with any of that. I do know alot of people have the blackberrys and have email sent through them.... Not sure about treos...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The Blackberrys also run a Palm OS. so if you went with a 700p you will have the same capabilities as the people in your work with a blackberry.

I think you may want to ask the IT crew on how the PDAs' in the company retrieve email from thier exchange server before making a decision.

Either OS (palm or windows) will work with POP3 mail. but they are very different OS's. you may also want to test drive both OS's to see which one you like better.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MarkyMark said:
The Blackberrys also run a Palm OS. so if you went with a 700p you will have the same capabilities as the people in your work with a blackberry.

I think you may want to ask the IT crew on how the PDAs' in the company retrieve email from thier exchange server before making a decision.

Either OS (palm or windows) will work with POP3 mail. but they are very different OS's. you may also want to test drive both OS's to see which one you like better.

gotcha........ ill give the techs a buzz and see whta they think.

thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
my sister and borther-in law have the 700p while I have the 700 with the windows OS their phone works like a charm they use it for everything very user friendly and accessible they have never had a problem, Now on the other hand I have the windows OS system on my phone I usually have to reboot once a dave the phone freezes, the screen won't illuminate etc. etc. be sure to go with the palm OS or your just wasting your time !!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Marky is right. talk to your I.T. personal before making any purchases. Nothing get’s me more #$%#$% than an employee coming to me after they purchase something asking me to make it work!

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
I have the treo 650 and really like it. The palm os got off to a terrible start but after the second version update it is definately the better.
I don't get any reformating problems when moving documents back and forth from the treo to my laptop but other versions and os's do.

The phone by hand is less effective when compared to the bluetooth function. Bluetooth phone is good sound clarity but by itself it is not as good.

It is pretty rugged. My wife is not the careful type and her Treo is holding up very well with her.

I like the Treo and palm os.
Go for the Treo :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I think im sold on the treo. However I spoke to our IT dept and they said I need the windows OS. Im not happy about that....

so let me ask everyone a question

Im looking for a phone/pda. I guess you would call it a smartphone. I like the large screen size of the treo and blackberry however I want a da$n STYLUS. any recommendations other than the treo. I phone no stylus. blackberry no stylus, mototola Q no stylus.

I want a freakin stylus. :laugher:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I think im sold on the treo. However I spoke to our IT dept and they said I need the windows OS. Im not happy about that....

Im looking for a phone/pda. I guess you would call it a smartphone. I like the large screen size of the treo and blackberry however I want a da$n STYLUS. any recommendations other than the treo. I phone no stylus. blackberry no stylus, mototola Q no stylus.

·
Really?
350 Posts
axkiker said:

The Treo 750 from AT&T is a Windows Mobile 6 phone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts