Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys let see some of those awesome Pantera pics...Are these 28's as great as everyone says ;) :D

One of my friends has a 2002 Outlaw 25' w/496 and he is ready to swap out before he gets to upside down. Wants a trailerable boat that will do 90+mph and someone mentioned that a Pantera would fill the void. How does a 28' feel at 90?? He is thinking about going with twin 525's or a single KE 675. What setup would be best?? Any pros and cons from the twins in such a small boat?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Jo at Pantera just built a 28 with 525 fuelies. I believe he said it will run 92. Its gonna take more than a single 675 to get a 28 up to those speeds.

The 25 outlaw may be a bit plusher than the Pantera. But there will be no comparison in the ride. The 28 is just a brute in the water!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dangerkitty is running a 600 Innovation and getting 82-83 mph in salt.

I've never ridden in a single but people claim better balance with a it. Comparing pics, the twins sit alot lower in the rear. Like Caincando1 says, it crushes big water! :chase:

Maintenancewise, the engine room is a decent size for the BBC. There is a good 2 ft. between the engines and rear bulkhead. All around access is decent......I've seen alot smaller engine rooms in bigger boats. With a single in there....chit....you could have a small party in it! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on flying out there next month and seeing what all Jo has. I have spoken to him a few times and he seems to have an unbelieveable boat at an awesome price. I want to see the 36 Survivor, what an awesome machine!!!

We have it figured up to be about $725 a month for a twin 525 boat. Does this seem about right?? 90+ mph and great ride for this price?? To good to be true?

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
I like my single. It launches and lands very level. Never been in a twin engine 28, but I know Too Old has had both a single a twin 28. I think his single had about 750hp and he seeing about 85mph.
To get 90+mph, I think you will need 850+hp in a single. the twin 525's should do it. I think the 28 named "Cherry Bomb" has twin 500's and runs over 90. To get the 90+ mph, I would say the twin 525's for reliability's sake and less maintanance.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Griff your boat looks big for a 28'...Is there anything Too Old has'nt had?? I'm jealous:), some guys get to have all the fun...Well for $725 a month no one can go wrong in a twin 525 boat that will do low 90's, afterall how often would anyone be going that fast;)

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
For being 28' they are big. A lot of hull in the water makes it a great rough water boat. Its been side by side with a 29 Fountain and the Fountain owner couldn't believe it was a 28. Looked 2 feet bigger than his.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
As for Too Old, here's a list of what he has had since I've seen him on the net just since Oct 2000.

28 Pantera single
28 Pantera twin
24 Skater
31 Sonic
35 Cig(current)

and now he's going to start brokering a few boats.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Hi Jeff,
Not sure if this is the Pantera you are thinking of but, I purchased it out of OC in the fall. It is a 38 and was used for a season of racing in '95. I bought it w/out engines and drives and I am starting to re-rerig it. It was originally rigged with twin Gellner engines with #6 drives. I will be installing a pair of 7.4 efi's.(very limited budget). The wing has been removed too.
I'm hoping to splash it by early/mid summer in NJ.
Still searching for drives though.
Lou

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
pantera38 - that's a funky looking boat - cool.

the boat I was thinking of was owned by a guy who owns a hotel in OC and races a Cigarette. He also owned a 28 Pantera with a 525SC. I was interested but wound up ordering a new Sunsation before I ever got down there to take a look at his altough his was a beautiful boat.

If you're looking for Bravo Drives - give forum member MAXPERF an email or a Private message. He's got Bravo drives sitting in his shop in Wilmington, De.

- heff

1 - 20 of 45 Posts