Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Apps from Apple allows me to use my Touch as a remote, to control my music on my laptop (Win XP)wirelessly. Works great here at home.

However, I want to use this while in the slip and have no need for a router for internet use. Just want the touch to laptop communications wirelessly.

Do I NEED a router working as a middle man, or can this be configed with just the PC and touch only? The 'remote' feature says it works off a wireless network, and I'm a pc idiot not knowing the fine details of what consist of a network. ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
US1Fountain said:
The new Apps from Apple allows me to use my Touch as a remote, to control my music on my laptop (Win XP)wirelessly. Works great here at home.

However, I want to use this while in the slip and have no need for a router for internet use. Just want the touch to laptop communications wirelessly.

Do I NEED a router working as a middle man, or can this be configed with just the PC and touch only? The 'remote' feature says it works off a wireless network, and I'm a pc idiot not knowing the fine details of what consist of a network. ;)

Thanks
Dont own a touch so i cant say for sure, but if the Touch has an Ad-Hoc setting in the wireless connection settings, than you should be able to do it..

Hopefulyl someone with one can help you out more..

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ad hoc? guess I shoulda capitalized the part about me being a PC idiot. :)

In short, is that to say I don't need a router for the touch and laptop to communicate with each other?

My laptop has built in wireless I use with my Linksys wireless router. Does that mean my laptop has a wireless network adaptor?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You do not need a wireless router to use the Touch with your laptop. Yes your laptop has a built in wireless adapter. You will need to setup your laptop and the Touch using an ad hoc connection. From a quick search on Google though I did find that using that connection has been challenging for the ones using it. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

I did buy an $30 Dynex router this week to try this weekend if all else fails. Just trying to keep things simple and clutter free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts