Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

powdercoated side and bow rails anyone?

1572 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  64LS1Nova
Just wondering if I should get my bow rails and rails by the sunpad powdercoated to match the paint or leave them polished. It seems every boat I look at with the rails that are painted or coated are all chipping somewhere. I know they take a beating from all the ropes, bumpers etc. that rub on them all day, but I really like the solid color look. Just wanna know who has what finish on their rails and how has it stood up to everything. Thanx guys!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
I would say leave them polished. Just my .02 :)
i had all the stainless rails from my stinger project powdercoated over a year ago......been getting moved around the garage here and there to make room over time...so far they still look like new :) But i will say that what ever they did the powdercoating with feels like a thicker plastic...almost rubbery so i think this should hold up quite well over time. They told me they do stailess rails like this all the time with no problems of it peeling.
PC to match the boat would give it a nice updated look, they would blend into the boat, If there already off I say go for it,
The reason most chip is bad prep, they leave the polished stainless and coat over it. It is a must that you have them media blasted prior to powder coat.
thanx guys i think ill go for it, Just didnt wanna have 2 takem off again later since id have to dismantle the interior to get them back off.
lil red boat said:
thanx guys i think ill go for it, Just didnt wanna have 2 takem off again later since id have to dismantle the interior to get them back off.
Steve, Get that thing on the water already. :laugher: I'll take your better half off your hands for a couple days so you can get some work done. :winker: :winker:

PC, PC, PC, Mine are and they look great.
:D

Attachments

See less See more
cool, thanx rick, u can haver .......sorry thats not nice im gonna catch hell for that one! you cummin down this weekend? I may need 2 bum a ride! Gimme a call if you head down.
powdercoated rails just get scratched and clipped - leave them polished.
I do think the powder coating would be a nice touch..... But I would still leave them alone and keep them polished. Save your $ for beer and fuel. :ninja:
lil red boat said:
cool, thanx rick, u can haver .......sorry thats not nice im gonna catch hell for that one! you cummin down this weekend? I may need 2 bum a ride! Gimme a call if you head down.
I'm heading down Saturday morning and launching at the Goose. I'm up for whatever until Hap gets off work at 4:00 and we'll be heading to the Inn to party. Your more than welcome to come along. Bring some bow bunny's too there plenty of room on the Pantera. :D
cool, ill see what i can do!
lil red boat said:
cool, ill see what i can do!
Sweet
My 32 had powdercoated railing. It had chips where the cockpit cover snaps had hit them. Also seemed to always look dirty. I removed them all and striped the PC off, then polished. So much better now. I like the polished look myself.
They are not simply PC over a polished rail. At least from Fountain. These are mine with the coating removed using acetone. They appeared to have a mediablast texture. Took hours to sand them somewhat smooth before taking them to the buffing wheel. A past winter project. And a winter project it was. ;)

Attachments

See less See more
Hello! I run a powder coating shop! If they part is cure right then it shoudn't be chipping at all or fadeing! Powder can take up to 250lb pressure!
how much to do 4 rails? maybe 25 ft of rail??
they all chip and get scratched - I don't care how good the powder coating is. they are GRAB rails - read my lips - GRAB!!! and people wear rings and watches and scratch them up - it's inevitable regardless of how well you watch people.
US1Fountain said:
My 32 had powdercoated railing. It had chips where the cockpit cover snaps had hit them. Also seemed to always look dirty. I removed them all and striped the PC off, then polished. So much better now. I like the polished look myself.
They are not simply PC over a polished rail. At least from Fountain. These are mine with the coating removed using acetone. They appeared to have a mediablast texture. Took hours to sand them somewhat smooth before taking them to the buffing wheel. A past winter project. And a winter project it was. ;)
If powdercoat is properly cured then acetone won't affect it. Your rails must have not been in the oven long enough. There is a huge difference between the durability of a properly powdercoated part and one that was not done correctly. I've done some experiments to prove it! That being said, I do powdercoating also and I like the look of polished better too.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top