Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I should get my bow rails and rails by the sunpad powdercoated to match the paint or leave them polished. It seems every boat I look at with the rails that are painted or coated are all chipping somewhere. I know they take a beating from all the ropes, bumpers etc. that rub on them all day, but I really like the solid color look. Just wanna know who has what finish on their rails and how has it stood up to everything. Thanx guys!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
i had all the stainless rails from my stinger project powdercoated over a year ago......been getting moved around the garage here and there to make room over time...so far they still look like new :) But i will say that what ever they did the powdercoating with feels like a thicker plastic...almost rubbery so i think this should hold up quite well over time. They told me they do stailess rails like this all the time with no problems of it peeling.

·
Registered
565 Posts
PC to match the boat would give it a nice updated look, they would blend into the boat, If there already off I say go for it,

·
Registered
443 Posts
The reason most chip is bad prep, they leave the polished stainless and coat over it. It is a must that you have them media blasted prior to powder coat.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx guys i think ill go for it, Just didnt wanna have 2 takem off again later since id have to dismantle the interior to get them back off.

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
lil red boat said:
thanx guys i think ill go for it, Just didnt wanna have 2 takem off again later since id have to dismantle the interior to get them back off.
Steve, Get that thing on the water already. :laugher: I'll take your better half off your hands for a couple days so you can get some work done. :winker: :winker:

PC, PC, PC, Mine are and they look great.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, thanx rick, u can haver .......sorry thats not nice im gonna catch hell for that one! you cummin down this weekend? I may need 2 bum a ride! Gimme a call if you head down.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I do think the powder coating would be a nice touch..... But I would still leave them alone and keep them polished. Save your $ for beer and fuel. :ninja:

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
lil red boat said:
cool, thanx rick, u can haver .......sorry thats not nice im gonna catch hell for that one! you cummin down this weekend? I may need 2 bum a ride! Gimme a call if you head down.
I'm heading down Saturday morning and launching at the Goose. I'm up for whatever until Hap gets off work at 4:00 and we'll be heading to the Inn to party. Your more than welcome to come along. Bring some bow bunny's too there plenty of room on the Pantera. :D

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My 32 had powdercoated railing. It had chips where the cockpit cover snaps had hit them. Also seemed to always look dirty. I removed them all and striped the PC off, then polished. So much better now. I like the polished look myself.
They are not simply PC over a polished rail. At least from Fountain. These are mine with the coating removed using acetone. They appeared to have a mediablast texture. Took hours to sand them somewhat smooth before taking them to the buffing wheel. A past winter project. And a winter project it was. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I run a powder coating shop! If they part is cure right then it shoudn't be chipping at all or fadeing! Powder can take up to 250lb pressure!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
they all chip and get scratched - I don't care how good the powder coating is. they are GRAB rails - read my lips - GRAB!!! and people wear rings and watches and scratch them up - it's inevitable regardless of how well you watch people.

·
Horsepower Junkie
1,693 Posts
US1Fountain said:
My 32 had powdercoated railing. It had chips where the cockpit cover snaps had hit them. Also seemed to always look dirty. I removed them all and striped the PC off, then polished. So much better now. I like the polished look myself.
They are not simply PC over a polished rail. At least from Fountain. These are mine with the coating removed using acetone. They appeared to have a mediablast texture. Took hours to sand them somewhat smooth before taking them to the buffing wheel. A past winter project. And a winter project it was. ;)
If powdercoat is properly cured then acetone won't affect it. Your rails must have not been in the oven long enough. There is a huge difference between the durability of a properly powdercoated part and one that was not done correctly. I've done some experiments to prove it! That being said, I do powdercoating also and I like the look of polished better too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts