Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
502 mag Mercruiser, what is the correct method to check PS fluid level. I see there is a hot and cold line on the dip stick. Is it best to check when engine is hot and should the engine be running or off.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nothing special, best to always check when it's running, if you check right after start up, and engine not up to temp, make sure the fluid is at least up to the cold line, just a little past is fine, that's the most important level. Then you can check again after when it's hot, and check it's not past the hot line, in-between the hot and cold is also fine too..

The fluid expands when it's hot, that's why it's important not to over-fill the reservoir.
That's it... :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I thought it was checked with the engine running but couldn't remember.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Fyhr Factor said:
best to always check when it's running

??? :confused: ???

If you check p/s fluid while engine is running, it will show "low". When you shut off engine, the fluid will return to reservoir and raise indicated level.

I always like to check it while cold.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I thought it should be checked with the motor running too. Wouldn't transmission fluid go by the same concept?

There are two lines on my dipstick, one for hot and one for cold.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Super24 said:
I thought it should be checked with the motor running too.

I guess we should all try it this weekend.

My theory is that if you fill to "full - hot" line with engine running, the fluid will overflow when you shut off engine. :confused:

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
DonMan said:

My theory is that if you fill to "full - hot" line with engine running, the fluid will overflow when you shut off engine. :confused:
OK, I was wrong.

This is what the Merc manual says.....

1. Stop engine and center the sterndrive unit.
2. Remove the fillcap/dipstick and observe level.
a. Proper fluid level with engine at normal operating temp should be between the full hot and add marks.
b. Proper fluid level with engine cold should be between the full cold mark and the end of dipstick.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
DonMan said:

I can tell you what would happen if you added the fluid to the hot mark while the engine is cold.. and shut it off ...Nothing...nothing will happen, But now start it up again and drive it a while , and you will have fluid squirting through the vent hole.. because you over-filled it..

You either totally mis-understood what I said or I just didn't say it right... maybe I should of had my attorney proof read it 1st..
I did'nt just say to fill to the Hot mark while running.. I said he can check it when it's hot too, and that is what the line is there for. and you can fill to that line, but only if the engine was running and the fluid was hot

The Hot mark is only there to check the fluid when it's Hot, not cold, and it takes it running a little while to get hot.
As I said, the fluid Expands when it's hot.

Do you really expect Brunswick to tell the consumer in writing to tell you to check while running ??? what if someone mis-understood the manual instructions..

Look what happened when a lady spilled hot coffee on herself, now we have lids to tell us the contents are hot...Like I did'nt already know that before .. but she's rich now.. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts