Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Still has to get approval from congress!

White House press secretary Dana Perino said.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by former President Bush in 1990. The current president, trying to ease market tensions and boost supply, called last month for Congress to lift its prohibition before he did so himself.

Perino said Bush no longer wants to wait. She pinned blame on the leaders of the Democratic Congress, noting that no action has been taken on this issue.

“They haven’t even held a single hearing,” Perino said. “So we are going to move forward, and hopefully that will spur action by the Congress.”

Asked if Bush’s action alone will lead to more oil drilling, Perino said, “In terms of allowing more exploration to go forward? No, it does not.”

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ghart said:
Still has to get approval from congress!

White House press secretary Dana Perino said.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by former President Bush in 1990. The current president, trying to ease market tensions and boost supply, called last month for Congress to lift its prohibition before he did so himself.

Perino said Bush no longer wants to wait. She pinned blame on the leaders of the Democratic Congress, noting that no action has been taken on this issue.

“They haven’t even held a single hearing,” Perino said. “So we are going to move forward, and hopefully that will spur action by the Congress.”

Asked if Bush’s action alone will lead to more oil drilling, Perino said, “In terms of allowing more exploration to go forward? No, it does not.”

and even if everyone all at once said go forth and drill to your haearts content. It would still be years before the effects of more crude production would be felt. So it still wont do a darn thing.......

·
12,273 Posts
axkiker said:
and even if everyone all at once said go forth and drill to your haearts content. It would still be years before the effects of more crude production would be felt. So it still wont do a darn thing.......
So, you would suggest we just sit on our hands?

What would you do in 5 years if we did nothing, agree to pay higher fuel prices?

If we make the decision to drill, along with the other things that should have been done 10 years ago, namely an energy plan, you will see a significant decline in crude oil prices immediately.

As we develop the new oil sources the price of crude will continue to drift lower.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ghart said:
So, you would suggest we just sit on our hands?

What would you do in 5 years if we did nothing, agree to pay higher fuel prices?

If we make the decision to drill, along with the other things that should have been done 10 years ago, namely an energy plan, you will see a significant decline in crude oil prices immediately.

As we develop the new oil sources the price of crude will continue to drift lower.

No...... if you will refer back to my post you will see that I didnt say anything about setting on our hands and doing nothing. I just said that even with a lift by each party it would be years before the effects would be felt... The last I heard this morning on msnbc was that even if both parties lifted the ban today the price of crude would probably fall roughly .50 cents a barrel..... Thats it

As far as what I think we should do this post didnt represent any of that. However since you asked I guess I can take a shot at it.

I agree that drilling is a must. It should have been done a long time ago. I also agree on an energy plan. One thing I would like to see incorporated in this energy plan is to get more private investors, corporations etc involved in the development of alternative fuels. Kinda like when the US posted a several million dollar reward for the first private company to put some type of aircraft into space.... We need all the great minds this country has to join in on this problem... Im not saying a reward is what will work, but to find a way to make it more feasable for others to join in on this fight.

·
12,273 Posts
axkiker said:
I agree that drilling is a must. It should have been done a long time ago. I also agree on an energy plan.

One thing I would like to see incorporated in this energy plan is to get more private investors, corporations etc involved in the development of alternative fuels. Kinda like when the US posted a several million dollar reward for the first private company to put some type of aircraft into space.... We need all the great minds this country has to join in on this problem... Im not saying a reward is what will work, but to find a way to make it more feasable for others to join in on this fight.
Private investment will knock the doors down to participate the minute it is clear that there is money to be made with alternative energy.

That is the missing component at the moment.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ghart said:
Private investment will knock the doors down to participate the minute it is clear that there is money to be made with alternative energy.

That is the missing component at the moment.

exactly...... I wish we could come up with a way to get private investment involved. Not sure how, possibly goverment incentitives etc. something to get more on the band wagon.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Just like his father tried to do, Bush is making sure all the good old boys are taken care of. The big oil companys will benefit hugely from this, period.

The opening of the Iraq oil fields to all of Bushs buddies is just what they were looking for.

We need to get off our addiction to oil....... Let's try this first : Electric cars, car pooling, 4 day work week, better traffic control, 55 mph speed limit, wind power, solar power, work from home, railroads, etc,etc,etc.........................

There is no shortage of oil , when was the last time you went to a gas station and could not buy all the gas you wanted???????. We are getting raped by speculators, investors and big oil.

As soon as they find more oil, they'll say the refineries can't keep up or Iran bombed something, the people in China who only make $2,000 dollars a year are using it all, etc, etc etc.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE GETTING SCREWED

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
This is just a last minute ploy while Bush is still in the White House to make it looks like he really cares about people and the high price of oil. His father is the one who signed the bill to not do any more drilling along our coasts. They know there is very limited amount of oil and it would take decades to see any price drop if they open up more drilling fields along our coasts.

·
12,273 Posts
World oil production peaked in 2005. Despite growing demand and an unprecedented increase in prices, oil production has fallen over the last three years. Oil is getting more expensive to produce, harder to find and there just isn't enough of it to keep up with demand.

The simple truth is that cheap and easy oil is gone.

Want More?

Click this...

http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
wow, Big Smoke, you just described life in Europe!, throw in your support for ban on the internal combustion engine, higher taxes and socialized medicine and your there. You can drive 55 in your Prius f that works for you, ;)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Not Right said:
wow, Big Smoke, you just described life in Europe!, throw in your support for ban on the internal combustion engine, higher taxes and socialized medicine and your there. You can drive 55 in your Prius f that works for you, ;)
I support less goverment and more freedom actually. OPEC has already increased supply and it had little effect on pricing.

Big oil is enjoying record profit year after year. If oil is more expensive to find and process, why the record profits???????????????. It's a scam , Big Oil is giving most of its profits back to its share holders, instead of building more refineries, repairing pipelines, repairing wells, building ships, etc, etc.

If we all worked a 4 day, 10 hours a day work week, we would use 20% less gas going to work. A 4 day weekend every other weekend. Yeeeee Haaaaa ..!!!!!

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
BIG SMOKE said:
If we all worked a 4 day, 10 hours a day work week, we would use 20% less gas going to work. A 4 day weekend every other weekend. Yeeeee Haaaaa ..!!!!!
Sounds good, but us boaters would end up using more fuel with this idea. I'll use a smaller boat for example. You can only imagine those with bigger boats.

Truck: 30 gallons 5 day week
24 gallons 4 day week

Boat: 40 gallons ( 5 day work week) 2 day week-end
60 gallons (4 day work week) 3 day week-end

We have more than one recreational season, so I can't say "Well, it's only a few months a year."

Snowmobile: 10-20+ gallons per ride. :dead: Ooops. That's for one sled. Some week-ends I feed/fuel 3.

=============

I guess that's why I work most everyday. Not all day all the time of course. :D If I don't work, I burn fuel.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
cfm said:
Sounds good, but us boaters would end up using more fuel with this idea. I'll use a smaller boat for example. You can only imagine those with bigger boats.

Truck: 30 gallons 5 day week
24 gallons 4 day week

Boat: 40 gallons ( 5 day work week) 2 day week-end
60 gallons (4 day work week) 3 day week-end

We have more than one recreational season, so I can't say "Well, it's only a few months a year."

Snowmobile: 10-20+ gallons per ride. :dead: Ooops. That's for one sled. Some week-ends I feed/fuel 3.

=============

I guess that's why I work most everyday. Not all day all the time of course. :D If I don't work, I burn fuel.
Just think, most people don't have boats. That means more gas for us to use and a couple extra days to cut the lawn, clean the cars, maintain our toys, clean the house, work overtime if you want, sleep, or whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Oil companies are a business just like any other, blame Bush all you want but it's a pretty simple issue, until people realize that the US doesnt set world oil prices they will blame Bush and Big Oil.

why wouldnt you own oil stocks if you think the stock holders are making out like bandits?

I agree 100% that we need to develop alternatives but just like drilling more wells, alternatives wont happen in the next couple years either. we run on oil and need more of it period:sb:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Not Right said:
Who's suprised by that? They have been successfully dealing with high fuel costs for a long time. Does it bother you that we may have to actually follow their example? If so, I dont understand why. Using less fuel is our future. God forbid America should have to change its "bigger is better" attitude even when biiger is no longer better. I talk to so many people who speak like it is their right as an American to drive a huge truck/car. It's not a right, its a choice and it effects your nieghbor as well. I for one am perfectly happy getting 50mpg in my diesel Jetta. I am just as comfortable and safe as the guy in the Cadillac next to me, I probably have as much interior room, and I will get to my destination just the same.
I was just in France for two weeks and in that time I saw 3 pickup trucks yet somehow they manage to survive :confused: Where do they throw their beer cans?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.