Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a boat with twin 6.2's with prochargers, anyone have experience with prochargers in this application? The boat runs like a bat out of hell...BUT, it seems to be running rich at idle. Fuel pressure guages read 28-29ish at idle. They smoke at idle and when docking you can see what appears to be gas floating around the transom. I also can smell gas in the oil.They put 130 degree thermostats in when they installed the units. Does anyone know of a shop or mechanic in VA who has experience tuning while the boat is running at different rpm's? And what should the fuel pressure be at idle????

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Do you know if the hypereutectic pistons were changed out for the Procharger install? If it's all stock it's better to run rich to help cooling the pistons. All the internals of the 6.2 are strong but I would keep boost at 5 pounds or less with hyper pistons to keep them intact. Ffuel injected engines with regulators are normally around 39 pounds at idle. I have n/a 6.2's in my boat and I could check the fuel pressure this weekend.

Ps; CP is a ATI dealer , contact them for info on your application.
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Superchargers/procharger-efi-kits.htm

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
There is a lot about the boat that I am sure he doesnt' know. So any information anyone can provide would be helpful. Given the conditions he mentioned, do you think there is an issue with running one more weekend with it without risk of detonation/melt down? We intend to change the oil again before our run since we smell fuel in the oil. Then we may be sending the ECU's to someone to be tuned... Either Tyler Crockett or Precision Marine.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree with tuning,,running rich under boost has nothing to do with running rich at idle or low throttle settings. If the oil smells like fuel that way too rich.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The 6.2 has the ECM 555 . It probably requires a tune to be bang on with the Procharger.

• Mercury®-exclusive ECM 555 processor optimizes fuel mixture, knock
control and ignition timing independently for each cylinder, resulting in
improved, precise performance. ECM 555 also enables the connection
of SmartCraft components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have spoken with Mark @ Precision Marine. He programmed ecu's for previous owner...in Minnesota. I am in Va so they are on the way back to him to be retuned for proper elevation. Pistons were not changed out and the previous owner told me it makes around 4 lbs of boost

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
So we might be wrenching on Friday??? I am down for it... Can't wait to get out on the water, lets burn some fuel !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts