Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to get a good price on the new Procharger for my 496/HO ???

Jeff wants to go a little faster.....

:)

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I dont know if you want to do that,,, I was talking to my dealer and they have yet to make a profit from Procharger because all of the problems they have been having with them,,,, I also dont like the fact they are putting a larger injector in #8 hole then all the others to correct a lean problem in that hole. Doesnt sound like a " fix " to me !!!

If you do though you need to switch to the " ring style " head gasket,,, you will blow out a factory in under 10 hours.

Hey,,, thought you were getting a bigger boat????

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking around....
I'm considering a larger boat.
I really don't want to have to pull the heads...

man o man - I know all about blowing heads gaskets.... ask Karen adbout the night we had to limp back to the marina after blowing a head gasket on another engine I owned....

that was a bummer....

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I dont know if they upgraded the gasket on the 496,,, but from what I have been told ,,, don't do it without the ring gasket.

·
chief bottle washer
1,561 Posts
Ah, the old speed bug got Jeff. Jeff I have a buddy w/a 502 that is charged and has a ton of problems with it, not to mention the explosion of the stock bravo drive. I know a few people with whipples w/out problems. I saw a 21 Eliminator that was surging like a top alcohol dragster on the river this weekend, you know what? You can't pass them all! I'd leave the 496 stock and enjoy the ride with Karen. Your going to have to do prop changes, etc to get it dialed in and you can only run 3.5 pounds of boost w/the new 496 or the pistons will shatter like a bull in a china store.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already got a Whipple on my 454 but was interested in the Procharger because it's a clean looking package and will fit under the hatch. I had to build a hump on my 222 Stinger to fit the whipple with intercooler. I don't know if dustin has a unit for a 496/ho yet. right now he's not my favorite guy because he shipped me a unit last spring with an 8 lb boost pulley when I specifically ordered and asked for a 4 lb pulley. within 30 minutes the engine blew a head gasket and subsequently broke a pushrod that went through the block and destroyed the engine. my $5,500 new whipple wound up costing me another $8,000 to build a new engine.

jeff was not a happy camper....

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I wouldn't be impressed either, I can understand your reluctance. I don't know if your engine is to new for whipple, but they fit on HP 500s under the 288 Sunsation hatch with no mods. FYI

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
They do have them for the 496 already. I though the whole deal was procharger or whipple didnt add any height or depth to the motor? Or was your 222 a carb motor?

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by the way...

do you guys think the same holds true (as far as head gaskets go) if I put a whipple on the 496/HO???

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Yep !!!! You will need to pull the heads and change that gasket. I'm telling ya,,, dont mess up the middle of your season !!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Also,,, just my 2 cents,,, but dont dump money into a boat that might be gone soon,, you wont get it back out of it, and in my opinion, it will be harder to sell with a supercharger on it.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Jeff,

The latest Fam & Perf Boating has a nice article on the 496HO. States has the best available ignition system, a great cam and the computer is programed dif than the 496. Teflon coated pistons, intake and exhaust manifolds are good and the heads have extra head bolts(more than the 454 I assume) 505 lbs torque at 4,000 rpm is good for a production engine. Seems to be the best value for the $ available. I do know of a large dealership in Western Canada that installs a lot of pro chargers on straight 350 ci with no problems and a speed increase of 10 - 18 mph. If you can find a good installer with experience-like anything else-it might be a great deal/cost per gain. Find someone that knows them like you know your server and you can't go wrong.

Gilla

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brewski....

I'll have to tell you that I have no met a single person yet that was happy with their Prochargers....

as a matter of fact. I spoke to a guy on the phone that had his Prochargers professionally installed and would up pulling them back off because they would just not run right consistently. He said every weekend brought a new problem. He finally gave up because he was missing most of the summer. Here's the boat they were on...

he gave up and installed new HP500 EFI's

- jeff

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/9/1481239.htm

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a friend that works for a well know marine engine builder and they do allot of R & D work for GM/Merc on the 496 and they seem to have allot of problems with them. Mostly related to Valvetrain and pistons.

I would be real careful on installing a procharger on them.

I'm not a supercharger person , I don't think they are worth the hassle unless you want to make BIG power 700+ , but if that is what you want why not build some low compression 540's with a root's style blower not that centrifugal stuff ? Then you can pull the 496's set them in the garage have your fun with the new power and then when you want to sell the boat due and engine swap and the blower motors can go in any boat you want.

Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the winning combination is building an engine like I have in my 222 Stinger. It was built from the ground up just for a blower. 4 bolts main, forged rods, J&E low compression blower pistons, crane cam made just for a blower engine. It's a 454 that only run 4 lbs of boost and make 625HP at 5,400 rpm.

It has a whipple supercharger with whipple intercooler and a single 750CFM Dean Nickerson jetted Holley carb on top. Dean nickerson jetted the engines when he dyno'd it and it's reliable as all get-out. It'll run all day long at 3700 to 4,000 and makes about 1 lb of boost at that rpm.

- jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts