Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a "good" deal on a ProCharger set-up for a 502 EFI. But ------ I have a 502 carb . . .

Will this work without too many mods ?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
DonMan said:
Found a "good" deal on a ProCharger set-up for a 502 EFI. But ------ I have a 502 carb . . .

Will this work without too many mods ?
I'm no expert but I think it could be easily done. You'd probably just need a carb box, tubing and some other misc parts.

But I'm sure someone will know for sure what it would take.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You'll need a blow through carburetor, most good carb companies like Quick Fuel or Barry Grant are making them with the necessary modifications so it doesn't need to be in a box, which makes life a lot easier when it comes to jet/air bleed changes. You'll also need a fuel pump, and a boost referenced, bypass type, fuel pressure regulator. And, you'll need some different air plumbing from what's used on the EFI setup.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rock Steady said:
Call Procharger???
I did that first thing, but they want to sell me a whole kit, specifically made for my application -- go figure . . .

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cubicinches said:
You'll need a blow through carburetor, most good carb companies like Quick Fuel or Barry Grant are making them with the necessary modifications so it doesn't need to be in a box, which makes life a lot easier when it comes to jet/air bleed changes. You'll also need a fuel pump, and a boost referenced, bypass type, fuel pressure regulator. And, you'll need some different air plumbing from what's used on the EFI setup.
That`s pretty much what I was guessing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am currently working an M-3 that was from a Mercruiser 502 fuel injected and switched to a blow thru Carb set-up on a 540 in a Tunnel Jet boat.I am re-mounting the bracket on 1" billet brackets because the poorly engineered standoffs with 5 1/2" long 3/8" bolts actually collapsed the standoffs.They also have 1/2" thick plate (main mount for procharger) that is counter bored 3/8" deep to leave only 1/8" of material to take all of the load go figure :confused: then to top it off there is like an ounce of lube in it. Dean Nickerson Built the carb and that part of it has performed flawlessly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts