Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time with Ken from PropGods today and can't say enough good things about him. We did some prop testing with my 23’ Concept center console powered by a 200hp carbed Merc Saltwater. Gear ratio is 1.87:1
Engine height is conservative with cav plate just out of water. I lose speed if I go higher.
My current prop is the 21 Trophy listed in the results.

Mirage Plus 21 5800rpm 54mph / 38mph
Tempest 21 5800 rpm 54.2mph / 37 mph
Enertia 22 5800rpm 53mph / 40mph
Trophy Plus 21 5900rpm 54.5mph / 34mph cruise (Rev Limiter)
Trophy Plus 23 5800rpm 52mph / Didn’t check cruise
Trophy Plus 25 5500rpm 52mph / Didn’t check cruise
Bravo 22 5700 + rpm 53 / 38 Took forever to get up to speed. Needs PVS

I think the cruise is bad on the Trophy’s because of the exhaust running over the top of the small hub. I have ordered an exhaust seal ring for running the small hub prop on a large gearcase. Should be in tomorrow.

The Enertia looks great on paper. It accelerated very hard and had the best cruise, What I didnt’t like was how easily it blew out. It was fine and then one little tap of the trim button and it blew out hard. It would be very hard to trim for speed and keep it there.

Cant figure out why the 23 Trophy Plus ran poorly. I thought that would be the prop for me. I just needed to bring my rpm down a little but only lost 100 rpm but lost 2 mph????? I examined the prop and it looked fine.

The Mirage Plus and the Trophy Plus were a dead race for top end. I will have to check cruise after I install the exhaust seal ring on the Trophy.

The Bravo was the only prop I could trim all the way out and it stayed hooked. If only it didnt’t take 3 miles to get up to speed.

I got my best speeds when the prop just started to ventilate. RPM would go up and speed would follow about 1mph. I think that why I ended up running almost the exact same rpm with every prop. A little more trim and speed would start to drop.

The Trophy results just don’t make sense. The 21 has a slip of 13%. The 23 has a slip of 23% !!!!! If slip would have stayed the same, I would have been running 58.8mph which is what I was hoping for. The boat is running 6mph faster then when I bought it and all I added was a manual jackplate so I cant complain.

Any thoughts on these results is appreciated.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Figure out what props you like and what you think should work and go get another set of them to try, different then the one you just tried. Merc props are never the same out of the box. I can run 2 different 28P Bravo's and get very differnt numbers...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking about trying a different 23 Trophy because the reults just dont seem right. The prop would have to be pretty screwed up though and it looked like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts