Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been thinking of selling our 97 Scarab SCS for the last couple weeks.The only reason we're considering selling the boat is bascically no water to speak of in Colorado.

We have one metro area lake which is really a mud hole,too many morons on the water,we might use it once a month just to get it out,not really enjoying ourselves anymore and to be honest,it's just a pain in the butt it seems.

The SCS is the boat we've always wanted and are fortunate enough to be albe to pay cash for it.We owe nothing on it.Also,with the rising fuel cost everytime we take it out we blow thru 75 to 100 in fuel,but keep in mind it's not a money issue.We can afford to use and maintain the boat...we just don't use it.

I've had the boat listed on the net for about 2 weeks.In that time there are two interested people but nobody has showed up with cash or even looked at it until today.A guy is coming over to look at it today and this is the boat of his dreams too.

I have it very,very reasonable priced at 22,995.00.It's a pretty tough market right now to sell a boat and I really don't think it will get better with the economy and fuel costs.

OK guys,pros and cons.Should I sell or let it just sit in the driveway?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
If you are not using it, I'd sell it. Boats cost even when not being used. Insurance, depreciation, etc.

I seem to be boating less the last few seasons. I'm thinking about selling mine. If I don't have the boat, I don't need my truck either. I could free up around 50K between the two. Plus, a couple hundred a month in insurance, registration, etc.

I never thought I'd be without a boat. But, priorities change over time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The 2 happiest days of boat ownership, the day you buy it... and the day you sell it.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
1adamb said:
The 2 happiest days of boat ownership, the day you buy it... and the day you sell it.
Not true in my case. I've hated selling any boat I've ever owned, but I can store only so many. :p:

·
Dirty
651 Posts
there no fun like boating fun

but if you dont use sell it
i had 3 motorcycles ever since i bought a boat never riden them sold 2 keeping one i think. but me and the people i hang with are boating evevy weekend

sorry about you having to sell it good luck no one is buying **** these days

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I have considered relocating to Denver at times, but with the lack of water I don't know if that is something I really want to do. Having a boat just sit in the driveway and really can't use it, not much point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we really don't have to sell it.We don't need the money really but could always use it for something else.

We're having a 1967 Shelby GT500 restored for the last year and will be delivered next week.That cars already been paid for but we would like to have a 1967 Cobra replica and that money could go along way in building this next car.

If we lived in the midwest or coastal area I'm sure we'd keep and use it.Don't consider moving to Colorado if you enjoy boating.The season's too short,no water and a bunch of fools out there floating around.

Thanks guys...the decision is made.Gonna sell it.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I think its a decent price... so many guys with 22's think the world of theirs. But the 23 at that price is generous.

If ya dont use it its certainly a good choice as you have made to put the money toward another toy that will get use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gizzi is right. I don't think there is anything more enjoyable. But it is probably one of the most expensive hobbies out there. So if your'e not using it, sell it. You can always buy another one later. As for me personally, I'm having a blast on the water every weekend!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
All hobbies are expensive,, if the weather sucks for boating chances are it sucks for car hobbies as well.
In the end only you can make the call ..
As for me , there is no way I would live farther than 20-25 miles from a large body of water and 75-100miles from a drag race track and good boat/car weather at least 9months a year. But thats just my priorities,everyones are different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dude that came over to look at the boat this afternoon turned out to be one of those gimme something for nothing kind of people.

He loved the boat,couldn't beleive the great condition it's in and wanted the boat.I have it very reasonably priced at 22,995.00

He said what's the very bottom line you'll take for the boat.I said 22,995.00 and he said no.I said ok,I'll go 22k but you don't get the extra prop and all the equipment that goes with the boat.He said I'll give you 19k cash right now.I said,nope,no way this boat will sell for 19k.

A few hours pass and I thought,damn this is a tough market to try and sell a performance boat plus the fact I really don't want to deal with all the dumbazzes on the phone or the net.

I call him back and ask how bad do you want the boat.He said I want it real bad.I said alright,21k and you can have the boat with the prop and all the equipment.He offered 19,500 and again I said no f'n way.

How the hell do you guys sell boats when it's time to move on?This sucks.I'm so sick of trying to sell this boat I'm ready to sink it and collect the insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
you've only had it for sale for 2 weeks and your irritated that its not sold yet? DUDE, TAKE A PILL :D

If you list it for sale at 22,995, be willing to take less. If you really want 22k for it, list it for 24k. Most people are not willing to pay asking price no matter if they think its a good deal or not. They just want to wheel and deal and talking someone off their price is all part of it.

So basically you guys are arguing over 3500 bucks right?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I agree with RS, dont get emotional over the offer. You just admitted that there is no water in Denver so your probably not going to get top dollar for it.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've bought a number of car, trucks, and boats well below the original asking price........but I've made many more offers that the sellers never called me back because of it.
You gave the guy your "bottom dollar" let him sit on it at least 3 days before you call anyone back.....chances are they will call you back in 2!!!!

I did this with a new truck and a new car and it worked EXACTLY like this!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright guys,thanks for all the advise.The issue is not emotional or frustration of the boat not selling in a short period of time.Just the opposit really.It's dealing with morons.

Case in point.A dude from LOTO calls and said he'd like to have the boat but his bank won't lend any money because they've never heard of an SCS and doubt it's ever been made.How do you answer or deal with a question like that :confused1

Another guy I've spent way to much time emailing everything he's asked for decides it's not for him because the cruising speed is 55 and probably not a good boat to pull his kids on a tube.See where I'm going with this?

I've decided whoever wants the boat is going to have to want it alot more than I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts