Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1981 Campion Christina 180, Volvo 280, leg 14x23 aluminum prop behind a SBC 383 with 350+hp.
Just getting the engine broken in about 11 hours. When I take it up to 4000 rpm dead stable at 48 mph. When I get to 4100-4200 at 50 mph the boat wants to pull pretty hard to the right. Almost seems as if the prop may be slipping??? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Is there a small anode behind the prop with a fin/skeg shape to it?
Is so you may be able to turn that to help.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'm not familiar with your boat/set-up, but generally, If it's pulling really hard, I'd say somethings up with your power steering system, possibly the steering ram is leaking internally. a loose belt, bad hose, or just not enough pump pressure..
If it was just pulling a little bit, I'd say to adjust the trim tab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont think it is the skeg as it is perfect up to 48mph and 4000rpm.
No power steering.
Gimble bearing???
Boat does not tilt and it has bennet trim tabs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is prop torque it comes on pretty fast and strong at 4100-4200 rpm and 50mph.
I am putting on a duoprop lower later this week or early next week. Do you think having a prop spin each direction will get rid of that?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
mtnrat said:
If it is prop torque it comes on pretty fast and strong at 4100-4200 rpm and 50mph.
I am putting on a duoprop lower later this week or early next week. Do you think having a prop spin each direction will get rid of that?
If it's caused by torque, it will help.. and it sounds like you'll find out soon if it was it, or not..
And I think the rpm's your getting it is right around where your engine is starting to reach it's power curve too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope it works. I am going to really check out the steering tomorrow and make sure it is working correctly.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Good luck with it.
It sounds like you'll be going a lot faster than 50 mph with that engine for sure.

I'm not familiar with your boat, got any pictures??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is from a boat builder in Kelowna BC. Pretty popular up here. Mine is a 1981. I replaced the stringers, transom and floor with coosa composite, faired the hull and painted the whole boat with everything down to the last snap removed. Then put in a whole new interior. Better than new by a long shot. Took an amazing amount of time and effort. Sentimental value for my wife is the only thing that makes it worth it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yes, It always takes lots of time & effort to restore things, and lets not forget about the money part too.!!

It Looks Very Nice.. You did a great job..!!
And it looks like it has a True Deep V hull too...
It should fly with that SB stroker...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts