Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow boaters!

I was looking up trim parts on google and found this....

Pulse drive systems

has anyone had any experiance with these drives?

From what I've read about them, a lot of the bigger boys are 86'n their bravos or otherwise and bolting n one of these badazz's. They claim a 10% increase over O/I efficiencies as well as speed. And also a slower plane speed.

I myself am interested in ix-naying my whole motor/drive package and using the money saved to buy one of these and finish my 6 shooter. I have to wonder how much is too much for an 18' scarab. I bet that I would be able to break the 70's with somthing like this....and 300hp of course

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just narrow is all.... It would fit under my swin deck like a step under the water a bit. And roughly 100lbs lighter then my drive system.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let ya know the prices when I get an e-mail back from them. I'm thinking the 1250 drive will be 2000-3000 dollars. If they ask anymore than that, I would expect a little more than a driveshaft, prop, and swimdeck.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
sprint18 said:
I'll let ya know the prices when I get an e-mail back from them. I'm thinking the 1250 drive will be 2000-3000 dollars. If they ask anymore than that, I would expect a little more than a driveshaft, prop, and swimdeck.

If they are between 2k-3k then I think thats a great price. Arent these things supposed to give you something like 10% more speed. 2-3k for 10% more speed and efficiency would be a bargain....

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
sprint18 said:
Yes, please let us know how much.., But I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4X more what you think it is, and not including the installation, which isn't just a bolt on deal.
Just the Surface Piercing prop alone can be Very, Very pricey, plus I would think it's hydraulic steering system alone would cost about 2K..
If it was cheap, they would have a price on their site.

That's what I think anyway, But hey, it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.. :D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Fyhr Factor said:
Yes, please let us know how much.., But I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4X more what you think it is, and not including the installation, which isn't just a bolt on deal.
Just the Surface Piercing prop alone can be Very, Very pricey, plus I would think it's hydraulic steering system alone would cost about 2K..
If it was cheap, they would have a price on their site.

That's what I think anyway, But hey, it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.. :D
i agree...... hopefully im wrong though

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
The efficiency of surface is better and the platform as a safety cover over those razor blade props is deffinately better but the size sucks. Maybe wings could be used above the tabs to regain the full beam platform.

I have read about some very serious injuries from persons falling on a surface prop. :dead: :dead: :eek:gre: The platform staying right over the prop for protection is great.

Ok............that price thing yet........???????? :bigsmile:

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
There was a 43 BT around southern MD with a a Pulse surface drive system. Twin Yanmars too :D The props were absolutely ridicilous on it, looked like ship wheels back there.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
OK guys..........JMHO but if Arnesons are $23K per side to do a TRS conversion?
What makes you think they will be less than $10K?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wishful thinking!!!

....to be honest... I could make something like this for around $1000-1500. But I'm hoping They are pricing for the average american's budget. No sence in making something only the rich and gifted can buy.

There really isn't much there to raise the cost! Maybe on the ones you guys would use with big blocks or a monster diesel. But for the 300hp model I'm thinking affordable. (fingers-crossed)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
To be honest sprint, That's Very wishful thinking...
The Prop will cost you that amount, unless you can get one for free..
Hydraulics for up & down trim, and steering will set you back some serious coin too..unless you can get that for free too.
And what are you planning for a gear box?? Your going to need one .. and how far can you move your engine forward. and down?? because you'll need to do that too..
Maybe it would be a wise idea to just save your money, and buy another boat... :winker:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ditto, sorry, but he is right. my 2 cents

Fyhr Factor said:
To be honest sprint, That's Very wishful thinking...
The Prop will cost you that amount, unless you can get one for free..
Hydraulics for up & down trim, and steering will set you back some serious coin too..unless you can get that for free too.
And what are you planning for a gear box?? Your going to need one .. and how far can you move your engine forward. and down?? because you'll need to do that too..
Maybe it would be a wise idea to just save your money, and buy another boat... :winker:

·
Registered
700 Posts
10 percent increase in anything is not worth your time & money for a repower. But all that aside, any boat that is up for sale with a Pulse drive just plain does'nt sell. You will literally give it away. I say fix what you have.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All good points guys. Sadly your all right! I already have what I need for my repower. I'll stick to the plan for sure, but these new ideas always have tons of flare. Until reality sets in.... of course :unhappy1:

I was unaware what these props cost too...ouch! But hey, there is always an outside chance that the PSI drive is easy to install with minor chages to the hull and an affordable price. Who knows? I still haven't even seen a boat anywhere beside there site with one of these, nor have I talked to anyone who owns one.

Like I said, the unit looks much simpler then traditional surface units. But still all the major components are still they like the others... putting it in the same price catagory I suppose.

...still no e-mail either. I'll send another :bandit:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts