Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Speak English Or Die!
1,622 Posts
Just remember in the mid 1980's alpha's were often used with big blocks, too. There's a LOT of Scarab III's with BB's and alpha's. I've seen some Formula's like that, too.

edit: corrected alpha's

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Alphas will hold 300-350 hp on smalle lighter boats...
Bravos near 500 on larger craft
wide tolerance on those figures depending on weight, driving style, etc.
(Not Merc approved figures...Just my .02)

·
Banned
372 Posts
Alpha's were only rated for 330 HP and Bravo's were designed to be a faster drive, handle bigger HP and eventually replace the TRS along with the Transmission

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
An alpha will be faster on a smaller/lighter boat with mild power than a bravo on the same boat. An alpha will hold more power than one thinks on a smaller/lighter boat as well. You just have to run them with common sense! No hole shots, no wide open re-entries, etc. etc. Just my .02!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
my Alpha is 25+ years old and has hundreds of hours and is still alive with a 454 ,
then there are guys that blow up new Bravo drives with stock big blocks .
Like was said a lot is in your style of boating .
With same power Alpha will be faster, its lighter,shorter and
sucks less power but wont take the torque or abuse of a Bravo.
Im about to put a ZZ502 in front of mine,should be good for a laugh or two..
;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would not own a alpha with a big block. When Mercury came out with the very first Magnum Series engine in 1986, which was a 330 454 Alpha combination, they soon discontinued it, due to the fact that it was mostly installed in offshore sportboats, which was a big mistake.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
It seems that the main differences have been covered pretty well.

What are you considering to compare the two?

I had an alpha in my 87 Formula 242SS with a 454. That was factory mated but the transom plate had some corrossion and there were other problems with the gimbal ring etc so I sold the drive upper and lower on ebay and scrapped the rest for a total bravo drive system.

If you are considering an alpha bbc scenario then I would say run the alpha till you have a problem if there is none now. If you are looking to increase hp with the alpha then deffinately dump it and go bravo. My .02

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Aqua

It is on a 1994 Checkmate 260 with a 454 Mag....I am buying the boat I just was interested to find the differences...Sounds like it has the right one ..It has the Bravo 1

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
snopro1108 said:
Thanks Aqua

It is on a 1994 Checkmate 260 with a 454 Mag....I am buying the boat I just was interested to find the differences...Sounds like it has the right one ..It has the Bravo 1

The first year for the Bravo was 1988. Any boat builder who was using the alpha behind a bb normally went to the bravo in 88 model year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 454/alpha combo in my Formula223LS. I repowered with a 454/425 hp crate engine. The lower drive had a bearing go bad so I just replaced the lower. Its been 3 years ago with o problems. I am pretty easy with the boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts