Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some friends of mine clipped an ad out of the Nor'Easter for Maryland Marina on the Middle River - they like to go someplace different every weekend during the summer for lunch on Saturday's and they read in the ad: "On Site Restaurant" - they're getting tired of the Wild Duck.

where is the place on the middle river - the ad shows an arial view and the place looks very big.

in addition, any rec's for good restaurants on the middle river they can go to or other restaurants not too far away?

thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Jeff,

There are a several other places that aren't bad. Riverwatch as mentioned by Not Right, good food, Sundays they have a deck party that is pretty good, parking lot gets full, docks too.

Across from Riverwatch a bit is Carsons Creek, this sin't bad either, some dock space, deck area, about 5 minutes from Riverwatch (actually prior to on the right before you get to Riverwatch).

In Sue Creek (entrance to Baltimore Yacht Club) is the Sue Island Dock Bar. Pass the Baltimore Yacht Club on port, and its the next little place back on the port. Tie up on the "T" head. Nice little Tiki bar, great steamed crabs.

Then theres Dock of the Bay at Millers Island, at the southern end of Hart-Miller island, Dock space, deck area, good food.

As far as the restaraunt at maryland Marina, can't speak for it. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Treds hit the nail on the head and gave a very accurate review. On Middle River the place for good food and good entertainment, with excellent people watching opportunities, is River Watch.

Wild Duck was pretty good a few years ago when Bev owned and operated the place but had gone to hell in a hand basket with the current management.

One other place is Island View Restaurant in Browns Cove, directly on shore from Hart-Miller island. Gotta be careful going in and follow the dredged channel or you'll find bottom in a hurry. Decent space for docking but no entertainment.

Island View has the best pot roast I have ever had anywhere, even my Mom's! :p:

Here's a link to an aerial view of River Watch.

http://marinas.com/view/marina/5147

·
12,273 Posts
Treads said:
Gil,

Is Island View right next door to Dock of the Bay? Upstairs?
No, Island View is tucked away right as you enter Browns Cove, which is the small creek just before you get to Back River.

Island View is in Essex, Dock of the Bay is on the other side of Back River in Edgemere.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Here's several pics of it...Plenty of dockage.

He's not kidding about staying in the channel !
I grounded a 19ft bowrider the first time I went there.

GREAT food.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The Riverwatch is nice, and has a great deck.
But - when I went there - they had damn little docking available to transients.
Maybe that's been improved - last visit was about 18months ago

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Makin-Memories said:
Your right about dockage. Its on a first come first serve basis and it gets pretty full on Sunday afternoon. Sometimes they maight have someone out on the dock and let you go into a slip, but not very often.

·
12,273 Posts
Makin-Memories said:
You're right about the lack of dock space on weekends at River Watch but I have the solution, with a bonus!

We go on Thursday after 6 o'clock. They have entertainment outside, just like Sunday, there are very few boats taking up space so I have always been able to have my pick of several spots.

The bonus is..............

There is no speed limit during the week on Middle River!

I can get, dock to dock, from my house at the Bay & Middle River to River Watch in about 8 minutes! :p:

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Our friends have been to the Wild Duck and River Watch many times, but they wanted information on the Maryland Marina which is on the Middle River. Their ad in the Nor'easter shows an aerial view of the marina, and it looks very big. The ad also says: "On Site Restaurant". Anyone know where it is and ever eaten there?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Maryland Marina

Hi Karen,

According to the "Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay"
and
Maryland Marina's own website...http://www.marylandmarina.net

The onsite restaurant at MM is the Wild Duck !

"In 1988 Maryland Marina turned its efforts away from new boat sales
to upgrading and improving its facilities and equipment.
A major expansion occurred in 1992 with the opening of the Wild Duck Cafe..."

·
12,273 Posts
greeneyedbeacher said:
Thanks for the info guys! Our friends have been to the Wild Duck and River Watch many times, but they wanted information on the Maryland Marina which is on the Middle River. Their ad in the Nor'easter shows an aerial view of the marina, and it looks very big. The ad also says: "On Site Restaurant". Anyone know where it is and ever eaten there?
I suspect Maryland Marina used the term "On site Restaurant" in the ad because if they put "The Wild Duck" as the restaurant, nobody would come! :laugher:

The current owner/manager of the Wild Duck tried to sell it at auction earlier this year without success. They don't own the property, just want to sell the business.

That place was always packed when Bev had it. She and her brothers own the Maryland Marina along with the restaurant building. Her brother is the one who built the building years ago and decided he liked running the marina side of the business and disliked being a restaurant owner so Bev took over that business and made it what it was.

Prior to her running The Wild Duck, Bev owned a florist business near Bel Air Maryland. For people who visited the Wild Duck during Bev's management, you will recall the extensive amount of tropical plants, including palm trees, throughout the beach area where the Tiki bar and tables were set up along the water. She would have all that brought in and planted every spring and sell them for $5 each in the fall to anyone who wanted them.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Makin-Memories said:
... According to the "Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay" and Maryland Marina's own website... The onsite restaurant at MM is the Wild Duck !
Imagine that!! Those pics look just like the one in the Nor'easter ad... the mystery is solved! Thanks so much guys. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts