Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my job allows me to work from home 2 days per week I've been looking into the idea of using the mobile broadband laptop card from Sprint. It's not cheap at $60 per month but I'd probably cancel my home internet service ($40) in lieu of the mobile broadband card.

My only concern is how well it works. I've heard great things about it but you never know. Can I still download video etc relatively quick like I do with comcast?

Any feedback out there?? I'd LOVE to be able to work from my boat :D

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
we've been thinking about getting one of those cards too. My main concern with going exclusively wireless would be security. I prefer to do banking etc by landline, I never use wireless for anything that involves a username, password,and money.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have both:

Comcast High Speed and the Sprint Broadband.
The company pays for both, so cost is not an issue for me.

I would not replace the Comcast for the broadband.

It's good, it works in alot of places where you wouldn't expect it to.
(ie - the middle of nowhere out of the Bay).

But it's NOT as good as a dedicated connection.

It's just more convenient when traveling.

Good luck with your decision.

-TC

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I have had nothing but Verizon Wireless for 2 1/2 years. The card was $100 , plus $59 per month. It works pretty good for my needs. Yes - you can pretty much do anything that a land line can do, but just a little bit slower. It`s a zillion times better than dial-up ! :)
I have considered going to something less expensive because I don`t travel as much as I used to and could probably get by without it. But it is really great to have at times - like next week when I`m in Florida. :D

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
All I can say is that I have had all of the different cards and they all suck more or less. Do they work, Yes are any of them fast, NO. Any DSL or Cable connection will be twice as fast and way less hassle to connect to. Do I still have a mobile broadband card, yes I do and I use it most everyday it serves it pupose and like others have said it will work in places you never thought it would. But I would never replace my home cable connection with one of these cards. But whatever you do good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts