Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Clarion CMD4 in the boat. The unit it self works fine but no sound will come out of the speakers. I checked all the connections and everything is fine. I believe that the internal amp is the problem and I did not add another amp. Is there any easy fix to this outside of buying a new unit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the original Clarion unit and only purchased this new "water proof" unit for the XM use. Will adding a amp solve this problem. I can by the new unit for only 142 but thought if i added an amp and it was out of the elements I may be safer.

The more people I took to about the stereo it seems they all want to vent about it not being water proof at all and blows with in a few months. Mine waited until the warrranty was out. lucky me.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I've been running a non marine stereo in my boat and in my jeep (which gets wetter inside then my boat) for a couple years now in both. No issues. I do have a marine one also, but it didnt have a remote so I swapped it out. I wouldnt worry about that aspect as much unless its directly in the elements.

Usually if the speaker channels (the direct weires) are broken, you may still be able to get output via the rca plugs to an amplifier and do it that way. Depends on exactly what broke.

In my limited stereo troubleshooting I wouldnt know until I tried....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A good possibility it needs a new output IC. But if you suspect corrosion damage due to not being exactly water tight than the repair would not be worth it IMOP.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If the amp is dead - throw it out and get a new one.
Not cost effective to replace.

That issue would also "likely" affect the pre-amp outputs as well, thus I wouldn't recommend buying an external amp. Too much of a gamble, too much wiring to only find out it too will "likely" not get a signal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tonight I am going to hook up the old stereo to make sure I have the root of the problem and then work from there. I may just get a new one and be done with it but will make sure it is not something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts