Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going attach my GPS mounting bracket in my boat and had a few questions for you guys. First off here is a picture of where I would really like to mount this thing. Only problem is that there is no wood backing behind the fiberglass so the only thing that would be holding the bracket is fiberglass. Is that ok or am I just asking for trouble (ie stress cracks)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, heres my only other option. Mount it in the center of the dash and there is wood behind the fiberglass here but its not really where I wanted to mount this. We use this area as a step to get on the bow. Might still have room to still step there but ....
Anyways, thanks in advance for your ideas.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I would think the first spot would work just fine if you used nuts and bolts with washers and lock washers on the back side. Drilling holes for sheet metal screws in fiberglass never works well and the screws manage to back themselves out over time unless you use some silicone sealant on the screws. My first choice would be to drill all the way through and use small nuts and bolts with lock washers behind the washers....

- jeff

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Red Stripe, if the area is accessible, cut a piece of 3/8 plywood slightly larger than your mounting base. Pre-drill it to fit your base and then install it below the fiberglass using bolts and washers and nuts.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I am only using the provided screws for a reference point to get longer bolts with washers and nuts. I have been changing alot of "screwed" in stuff on the boat to "thru bolted". Tired of tightning everything all the time:D :D

Good idea with the plywood backer stuchamp!! It is accessable from the backside.

Thanks for the ideas:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Better yet,,, get a piece of 1/4 aluminum stock and use that as a backer plate,,, this way as the GPS gets abused the nuts cant bury themselves into it like it can plywood,,, save you from having to retighten now and then plus no rot or rust.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Get out the weld guns and that should do it. Actuallly, I used the identical bracket and just screwed it in the glass drilling pilot holes first. Hell, that's the way my whole dashpanel is attached with six screws and its been there for 8 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts