Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
sort of dumb question but as a bit of a new boater I'm curious, every time I go out on small lakes I see all these boats tied up 4 or more together in little clusters. do all these people know each other? or did they just come up and ask "hey can I tie off?" It looks like fun and such but I feel a little weird like the new kid at school driving up to a bunch of people I don't know and bascially asking them to be my new best friends.

obviously I'd put out bumpers, but do I as well need to put out anchor as well?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Well you should probably anchor out and walk/swim up and say hello, meet people then the next time you can tie up with them... and they will let you know if you need an anchor...

But certainly needed covered bumpers if your tieing up to performance boats with really nice paint/gel.

I have had lots ask if they can tie up and made some good friends this way..... but there is an occasional person that can't steer a boat and I personally don't want anyone near my boat that could potentially cause damage... So be on your P's and Q's when meeting new people and they will respect you if you purposly look out for their equipment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Best bet is to idle by quietly and ask if you can tie up for a bit. Let the type of crowd you see and your activities be the judge if you fit in. Do not even attempt this if you do not have quality fenders with covers or do not know how to tie up carefully. You can generally tell if the crowd is more than say four or five boats it is a floating party. I meet the best people this way both tying up and being tied up to.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rock Steady said:
Well you should probably anchor out and walk/swim up and say hello, meet people then the next time you can tie up with them... and they will let you know if you need an anchor.

This is my philosophy too ! I'd rather anchor off on my own close by. This way you can rule your own roost. You'll be close enough to the action and you can decide who ties off with you. This way you can come and go as you please.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
problem with being by yourself is you cant swim away from your boat because chances are someone will drive up and tie up to your now empty boat. At least thats the way it is in most the big party coves I have been in. I imagine in more open areas with less crowd that would not be the case.

Even when I tieup with people I know I wont leave my boat until the next guy is tied up to mine so I can be there to do it right.

We also have the problem of the biggest rental place on the lake bieng across from the big party cove , which means tons of newbs with crappy anchors,crappy lines and crappy fenders and bad driving all tied into one.

Basically if you want to be in the thick of things you have to be alert and willing to put up with stupidity. If you really want to relax tie away from the crowd and do your own thing.

What you need: Anchor with enough rope to properly hook up. Should be at least 3 to 1 ratio, which means in Lake Travis you need 300ft-400ft of rope,,noone ever has this, your lucky if they have 100ft which means 90% of all anchors are just hanging there and raftups are just floating around .
You need at least 4 but better have 6 BIG bumpers and at least half covered and enough rope for all the fenders and to tie up on both sides.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Oh yeah , one last thing, while you may love your 180decibel stereo
the people your tying up to or beside or behind may not, so first listen to what they are playing before you go thumping your stuff.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
The best way for you to be invited to a raft up is have at least 2 hot bow bunnies on display as you slowly motor by.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm all good stuff, appreciate the info. looks like I'll be investing in some new bumpers :winker:

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
blkkat said:
hmm all good stuff, appreciate the info. looks like I'll be investing in some new bumpers :winker:
Are we to assume you already have the bow babes? :worthless

·
Dirty
651 Posts
AFTER YOU START RAFTING UP YOU WILL SEE THAT YOU WILL NEXT EXTRA BUMPERS ALSO. CAUSE IF YOU ARE ON THE OUTSIDE YOU MIT GET SOMEONE THAT HAS SMALL BUMPERS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO PUT YOUR OWN OUT FOR A LITTLE EXTRA ALSO A TRANSOM ANCHOR IS NEEDED IF THERE IS CURRENT.

AND IF THERE IS CURRENT ALWAYS HAVE A KNIFE CLOSE BY INCASE YOU HAVE TO CUT FREE THIS DOSE HAPPEN SOME TIME DEPENDING WHERE YOU ARE AT
LIKE LOYYDS CREEK

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Remember if you do raft up to newly aquired frineds, be sure offer an anchor. I see to many "frineds and friends" come along tie up, and not throw and anchor, then before you know it your original crews anchors have come loose and it gets tense for a while untill everyone resets.

This obviously depnds on the water conditions and wind.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I like to anchor and then sit on my transom nude while sipping on ripple. How come nobody ever asks to tie up with me ???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
DonMan said:
I like to anchor and then sit on my transom nude while sipping on ripple. How come nobody ever asks to tie up with me ???
Bumpers arent long enough?
Anchor isn't big enough?

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts