Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Milky oil thread. found out some more.

So i found out some more. Not sure if its good or not. A friend came over with a good compression tester and we re tested all cylinder. Everything was 130-140 except that original cylinder that was 45 :-/ So i only have one cyl with low compression.

Also the gasket on the riser was shot and the manifold was full of water when i pulled it apart. So i am guessin thats where the water is coming in?

Last question. What would happen if i ran the motor for the season with one bad cyl.? Could i get threw the season and rebuild over winter? I know power will be a lot less but what else could happen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
35thls1ss19 said:


Last question. What would happen if i ran the motor for the season with one bad cyl.? Could i get threw the season and rebuild over winter? I know power will be a lot less but what else could happen?
What would happen?

Possibly (or will) over heat causing extensively more damage than there already is, could on fire

Overheating to the point that it seizes and being left stranded on the water

Bottom line is with water in the oil the engine will overheat and its all down hill from there.

Absolutely not the right choice to make unless it was an emergency.

Do your self a favor and either fix it now or wait but don't take it out on the water. You could find yourself in a situation that could hurt yourself and others. :( Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Re: Milky oil thread. found out some more.

OPtimus Prime said:
What would happen?

Possibly (or will) over heat causing extensively more damage than there already is, could on fire

Overheating to the point that it seizes and being left stranded on the water

Bottom line is with water in the oil the engine will overheat and its all down hill from there.

Absolutely not the right choice to make unless it was an emergency.

Do your self a favor and either fix it now or wait but don't take it out on the water. You could find yourself in a situation that could hurt yourself and others. :( Just my .02
no no i am going to replace the riser gasket. Which is the problem with the water in the oil. I ment what could happen by running it with the compression bad on one cylinder. thanks for answering. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
I'd have no problem running one with 1 low cyl. as long as the water problem is fixed.

Did you guys by chance squirt some oil in the low cyl then recheck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
US1Fountain said:
I'd have no problem running one with 1 low cyl. as long as the water problem is fixed.

Did you guys by chance squirt some oil in the low cyl then recheck?
yes i did and nothing.... so i am going to pull the valve cover and check for a bent push rod or something along those lines? thats what i was suggested from a freind. what do you think?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,666 Posts
get that cyl to top dead center,,,, get a leak down tester, or a compression guage extension hose,,,,, something to get air into the cyl.

Then listen for where the air leak is,,,, intake or carb you have a valve issue and run the risk of dropping the valve into the cyl depending on what the damage is already.

If you hear it in the dipstick, its piston/rings or hole in the piston,which wouldnt bother me as much.

Also,,,, pull your valve covers,,,, I have seen valve keepers jump of the slot and ride above the valve stem so the rocker is pushing on those instead of the valve,,,, that will hold it open at the seated position.

If the riser gasket doenst fix the water in oil issue,,,, you have a blown head gasket and its time to pull the head.,,,,,,, which can easily be done with the motor still in the boat.
 

·
You BLOT that schit!
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
Good chance you have corrosion at the valve seat(s) on that cylinder. Especially with water present, it doesn't take long.

As stated, it may be worth pulling the head and having it looked at. Could be a cheap and relatively fast fix vs. dropping a valve and causing catastrophic failure.

Also as stated, a leak down will point you in the right direction .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Sounds like there's something up with your Intake valve, possibly bent valve or pushrod or a raised stud, and You better find out now before you take a chance & wipe out the entire engine..So start with pulling the V. Cover..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
I would fix the riser and making sure the oil is fresh, fire it up. If it is not popping out the intake or exh I would run it some to clear up the oil. Then try the comp test again. It is possible it will improve. It is also possible to hurt it, but I would try anyway since I am going to have to tear it down anyway. Just my approach....
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top