Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering repowering a baja hammer. Current setup is 7.4L with a bravo one. Would like to go with a 377 scorpion and bravo x drive. Does this new setup makes sense. What other mods would I need (hydraulic sterring etc.), and the cost of installing the package?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, what about reliability. With the 377 I lose about 200 lbs back there and gain 40 Hp and 600rpms by propping it right at WOT.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
big block would be more reliable because it dosnt have to spin as fast to make the same horsepower besides you can build it as strong as your pockets are deep, you can get close to 500 hp very easy which may be to much for your boat

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other thought is save the money for a 25 Outlaw 496 HO powered. Not as fast but a much better ride and good in the chop. i am leaning towards the new boat, bust just wanted to feel things out.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I agree with you on the bigger boat, If I have a good year Id like to move up to a 29' Im to sore from getting the crap beat out of me on the lake

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, I thought about that too. This is for next year. I would need to beef up that Bravo one and get a motorcycle helmet too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you plan on upgrading(bigger boat) in the near future (1-2yrs) save your money ! You'll never recoupe half the money spent on the engine upgrade. If the boat upgrade is more like 3-5yrs down the road go crazy.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
hotbeek is right. If you think you're going to own the boat for another 3 to 5 year, do the engine...otherwise save your bucks and keep the boat in as nice shape as possible with the resale plan in mind.

I hate to preach and I know it takes some of the fun out of boating but I really baby my 288 because I know that everything I have is always for sale. I never get married to any posession. However I do enjoy looking at a pristine boat and I keep mine that way.

Through often I wonder if the guys that beach their boats and walk all over the things all the time and raft-up and allow everyone else to walk all over the things are having a better time than me...

such is the life and torment of an anal retentive. However I really do enjoy using, then washing and waxing my boat...

I know it drives Karen a little crazy being paranoid about event hitting the rub rail on anything but hey - there are no prefect men are there?

:)

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Plus, just because the HP rating is high on the small block,, it is only there for a small peak in the range,,, a big block has a flatter hp, and torque band,,,IE. it will be a bigger slug with a small block

·
Registered
523 Posts
I knew a guy that had a 22 foot Baja. He had the 454 and a Bravo. Anyway he did some mods and had it up to 490hp. He ran it hard for three years that way just with normal maintenance. I think you'd be fine with mods as far as reliability but, Jeff and hotbeek have a good point on moving up to another boat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All great points. I will probably have the boat at least 2-3 yrs min. It is a fun boat. I do believe it has it limits. That small block vs. big block is good news to me, I have always thought you just get more punch from the big blocks. I tend to run mine hard at times, thought maybe an engine with racing specs might hold up better. The boat is in great shape, no beaching, I will tie up but no walking on the bow or cross walkers either. I really like the 25 Outlaw. Perfect size for me, however, I believe I will be in the same predicament just a few years down the road in wanting more speed. Seems like the engine mods for now is a great idea. I just have to find a really good mechanic and marina. I will be moving back to Ga this fall. Anyone now any good ones within 5 or 6 hours from Columbus, Ga. I can go to south Florida if their is a really respectable business down there to work with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff , have some friends that live there and work in Dahlonega at the Mountain phase of the US Army Ranger school. I will be working at the Begining phase in Columbus. I am looking for a reliable mechanic/marina within a few hours of me. I beleive Lake lanier is about 2 1/2 not that far to travel for an honest reliable marina/mechanic good service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts