Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm removing my Bennet Trim Tabs and got to a point where a piece of sheet metal is bonded to my hull. I've been doing a lot of searching on removing 5200; which I am only guessing that's what Formula used to install the bennet trim tabs. I'll call them next week for their two cents, but till then perhaps anyone has any suggestions on how to remove items adhered to the hull. In my readings I've run across many removers which are safe for fiberglass and read how "breaking free old deck fittings bedded in 5200 using a guitar string as a flexible saw" is used in some cases.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's a great site here! Thanks all. I am on the hunt to get some of this. I'll try Trenton Marine and West Marine (again.) I say again because I went to West and didn't find anything there. These bennet plates seem like their gonna be a pain.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If is a plain Stainless Steel Mounting plate then use heat.I have used My Heat gun to release 3M 5200 an industrial heat Gun(glorified hair dryer) is what I have used to remove K-Planes. Those solvents are a slow process at best.

Rob

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'll try heat first. So do I need an industrial heat gun, or will a hair dryer work if I just sit it on there? Is there any chance of damage to the glass leaving a hair dryer on it for a while? Of course I'd monitor progress. Though this is a big help. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the industrial heat gun from Northern Tool, I had my trim tabs off in about 15 mins. Thanks for the tips; that was the solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts