Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Removing heads on 502

992 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Fyhr Factor 
#1 ·
I've got a guy looking to buy my 502, but wants to take the heads off and inspect the pistons and cylinders etc..

Can they be put back on no problem?

Can I use the same Gaskets?

Should I tell him to shove it, or let him take a look?

#5 · (Edited)
Duke69 said:
I've got a guy looking to buy my 502, but wants to take the heads off and inspect the pistons and cylinders etc..

Can they be put back on no problem?

Can I use the same Gaskets?

Should I tell him to shove it, or let him take a look?

I agree with RSJake. Those numbers tell the physical condition of the components involved, if he understands them or if you have them.

You should only use the same gaskets if you have Cometics.

If he wants to go further and he tears it down and buys the engine ............fine.

If he tears it down and doesn't want it, then, he should pay for re-assembly costs.

My .02

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
1014 is allot of hours ...... $2k. ....not a bad price but if I were to buy it, the internals and heads would get a complete tear down and warm over before I would consider putting it in a boat anyways.

Ah he!! I just lied my azz off....... I'd stroke it, cam it, and bolt on a set of AFR's :laugher:

On a serious note, I know of a SW site member who recently bought a used 502 with the heads. Same set up as Dukes. He removed the heads and found that the tops of the pistons looked like someone had taken a hammer to them. Then he flipper the engine over and removed the oil pan..... there was no oil pump !!

I'm not at all suggesting that's the condition that Dukes' engine is in. Just saying ya can't be too careful when buying used stuff :(

#8 ·
Kidnova said:
1014 is allot of hours ...... $2k. ....not a bad price but if I were to buy it, the internals and heads would get a complete tear down and warm over before I would consider putting it in a boat anyways.

Ah he!! I just lied my azz off....... I'd stroke it, cam it, and bolt on a set of AFR's :laugher: :(
You forgot to say you would bore it also.. :rolleyes:

You're slipping Billy boy.. ;) :laugher: :laugher:

#11 ·
i think id just tell him to go piss into the wind. a 502 can take a world of abuse. if he thinks hes gettin a new motor at a used price hes on drugs. i agree with everyone else, if he wants it pulled down he can foot the bill to have it put back together. u as the seller dont need to have to worry about stuff like that.

thats just my thoughts on the subject.

#12 · (Edited)
Fyhr Factor said:
How much is a used bare Block going for these days..?

I found 502's and tall decks for $500. One might find them available for less but these are good pieces at this price.

I have two tall decks on hold right now :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: can you say stroker :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

#14 ·
aquaforce said:
I found 502's and tall decks for $500. One might find them available for less but these are good pieces at this price.

I have two tall decks on hold right now :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: can you say stroker :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Yea, I think you know why I'm asking, because the block is all I'd be using anyways.. :D

Stroker,,, , Yup, I can say it.. :laugher: :bigsmile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.