Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the riser on the starbord engine side feels hot to the touch but the other one feels much cooler,

is this normal,

also just had the boat serviced for overheating problem
and replaced sea pump and recircul pump and thermostate,

when the mech called me he said my temp gauge is also bad(gaffrig) but said acording to his equipment the boat is cooling, but now my gauge light comes on just past 180 degree, he also said sending unit was good

temp gauge is fluctuating, up to 180, then to 200

maybe the gauge is bad? but why is one riser much hotter than the other,

also had some skeg damage fixed, before taking the boat to shop it shifted super smooth, barely hear any engagment, now is seems to shift harder, not ridiculiously
hard but not smooth like before, is there an adjustment for this

454 mag efi with bravo 1

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I'm getting more heat on the OUT side of my starboard motor. Since I've checked every hose, the cooler, and the thermostat manifolds and risers are all new, I have to assume it is just the dynamics of the way water flows through the housing.

What about on the hose, can you see a decent amount of water coming out that side?

Get that water temp gauge replaced though, you really want to know what you are actually running. You should even be able to see it fluctuating with the stat opening.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Same with my carbed and blown 496. The right side always feels a little hotter...

catfish said:
the riser on the starbord engine side feels hot to the touch but the other one feels much cooler,

is this normal,

also just had the boat serviced for overheating problem
and replaced sea pump and recircul pump and thermostate,

when the mech called me he said my temp gauge is also bad(gaffrig) but said acording to his equipment the boat is cooling, but now my gauge light comes on just past 180 degree, he also said sending unit was good

temp gauge is fluctuating, up to 180, then to 200

maybe the gauge is bad? but why is one riser much hotter than the other,

also had some skeg damage fixed, before taking the boat to shop it shifted super smooth, barely hear any engagment, now is seems to shift harder, not ridiculiously
hard but not smooth like before, is there an adjustment for this

454 mag efi with bravo 1

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Sounds normal for one side to be slightly warmer. It's due to the pattern of the water flow through the cooling system. On my 496HO the PORT side usually feels a little warmer. My scan software confirms that too. The port side runs 10-20 degrees warmer.

How did he verify the sening unit was good?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super24 said:
Sounds normal for one side to be slightly warmer. It's due to the pattern of the water flow through the cooling system. On my 496HO the PORT side usually feels a little warmer. My scan software confirms that too. The port side runs 10-20 degrees warmer.

How did he verify the sening unit was good?
i have no idea, took the boat out saturday, seems to run fine .good flow of water out the pipes, definetly starbord water is warmer, but gauge was acting funny, getting to 180 and a little past, then the alert light would go on, but not the alarm, and then fluctuate back
but no real diferences in the engine that i can see and feel,

wonder if i should just change the sender and gauge
just to be safe

also having a hard time finding the white faced gaffrig temp gauge with the little alarm light on it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take the wire off the temp sending unit and ground to the block. If the gauge pegs the sender is bad. I read this on another site on how to determine if a gauge is bad. It made sense to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts